Lee Factory Crimp Die- brass life

eric2381

Hello everybody. I've been playing more and more with the Lee Factory Crimp Die with my loads. I was wondering what people have experienced with brass life when using it. Does it shorten the life span of your brass?

Thanks for your time, Eric

I've used them for many years, there great. I use a RCBS X Die [depending on caliber} for sizing, then crimp with the Lee... Brass life is off the chart, I usually discard brass, using this combo because of the primer pockets enlarging not case failure.

If you're indicating the four equal indents on the mouth of the cartridge case; that's not a problem and will not shorten the life of the case cartridge'…, by the way what caliber or cartridge is it your shooting? The key is to be sure your Lee die is properly adjusted.

I shoot and load for many different rifles, but the pic of the brass I showed was 300 Win mag. I think I may be crimping too tight. I'll prep and load the brass up again, and give it a shot.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on a lot of the military surplus rifles that I play with. I have found that it makes for greater accuracy compared to non crimped rounds. I have not used the LFC die on loads for my super accurate custom rifles. They shoot just fine with out a crimp. I have not noticed any worse or better case life from the use of the LFC die.

I'd have to agree with others here that using the Lee crimp die for most gas gun reloads is an; accuracy up grade in the first order. I can tell the difference in my M1A when I use the Lee F/D verse when I don't. As for the bolt rifle; well if I'm working on match ammo I don't use it… not to say it doesn't work, I just don't use it. As for hunting ammo in a bolt action of pump; sure'…, I use it all the time for that.
As for brass life; well look at a factory crimp round in your caliber…. you should be able to see the depth of their crimp, try to stay on that guide.
On a side note; I've use the Lee F/D on subsonic center fire load, which demand a very, very heavy crimp… about three to four times what your doing…. an case life is still very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.