Question for the gunsmiths of the board.....Thanks in advance

Agunner012

I have been reading mixed reports about installing a Sako Extractor on a Remington 700 bolt. Most of the reports tend to be negative. If the job is done properly are there any problems associated with the job?

How well will the 700 action with this modification handle a 338 Lapua? I realize the bolt face has to be opened up.

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew,

The sako extractor conversion can be great. The big issue is not extraction with the conversion but ejection. I install a second ejector and it has cured the problems that I have seen with the system. The dual ejector system will throw shells several feed out oif the rifle instead of dribbeling them out at your feet or leaving them in the loading port.
The 338 Lapua conversion is pretty big for the Rem but I have done several of them and have it dialed in. The big problem with super mag cartridges is usually feeding. This is easily solved with the HS box mag conversion that feeds from the center and not one from each side. There are some tricks to extractor clearance with the super boltface but it can be a good setup when done properly.
Defensive Edge Inc. - www.defensiveedge.net

Agunner012,

Shawn is right on the money with his reply. As he said the H-S precision bottom end is a god sent to these conversions, a little spendy but reliability os worth every penny.

I personally feel the most critical aspect to fitting the Sakos extractor on the Rem 700 is fit to the bolt and to the bolt nose recess in the barrel.

Most top end smiths will cut the bolt nose recess in the barrel to 0.005" total clearance to the bolt nose diameter. THis means 0.0025" clearance on all sides. This is best for getting the most bolt control possible, best gas leakage seal in the event of a case head failure but also allowing fine accuracy. You want to screw up the accuracy of a rifle, have the bolt bare in the barrel, strange things happen to accuracy!

In all the more conventional rounds this is not really a problem but in the large case heads, fitting of the Extractor is CRITICAL. Often to keep the bolt nose recess dimensioned properly, youwill only have a thou or so for the sako extractor to slip over the case rim.

I also machine the bolt to much tighter specs as far as side play on the extractor and have found that not only does this seem to improve the grip onteh case by not allowing the extractor to move hardly at all side to side but it also increases the safetly level of the system by creating a tighter gas seal.

If fitted properly, the Sakos are a great system. If installed incorrectly, they will not perform well.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned with a hot load blowing that extractor off and causing problems. I guess if its done right and the loads are safe there should be no problems.

Andrew

Agunner012

If you blow a case hard enough to drive a Sako extractor out of the locked bolt, you will have other problems as well. Load to safe levels with quality brass and you will never have a problem.

If you are loosening your primer pockets on the second or third firing you are running to hot!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.