Question for Imperial Dry Neck Lube users

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how big a problem is cold weld? I know what it is but I've never experienced it with my hand loads.
Depends on how long the ammo sets and what your doing with the ammo. If your just shooting to 300-400yrds you won't notice the high es and sd numbers as bad as if your shooting past 500yrds, it also depends on the caliber too. In bigger calibers that have better bc bullets, the es/sd don't effect things as much, anyway that's what I've come to notice shooting .224 vs 6.5.

Depends on how long the ammo sets and what your doing with the ammo. If your just shooting to 300-400yrds you won't notice the high es and sd numbers as bad as if your shooting past 500yrds, it also depends on the caliber too. In bigger calibers that have better bc bullets, the es/sd don't effect things as much, anyway that's what I've come to notice shooting .224 vs 6.5.
So how do you know that your high SD and ES numbers are due to cold weld? In other words, how do you prove that cold weld has occurred?

I wonder the difference in location of application.

If you dip necks then seat bullets, wouldn't any extra dry lube be forced inside the case?

As opposed to dipping bullets, any extra dry lube would be scraped off by necks and forced to the outside.

Never tested this theory to see if there is a difference in consistency or accuracy,
Do it either way...it does not matter. I find it easier and less mess to dip the necks. Imp. Dry Lube is graphite; graphite is part of the formulation in the powder to help dissipate static charge and improve flow so it will not have any effect if pushed into the case in the minuscule quantity we are dealing with. In fact, Alliant recommends adding a small quantity of powdered graphite to a jug of powder if it is clumping more than desired. They give the amount/lb recommended in a document I have read but cannot seem to find at the moment.

I've been handloading and shooting for over 40 years. Like most of you I have more firearms than I'll admit too. I load for every one of them. Naturally, some have become safe queens while others are shot regularly. Ammo that was loaded with the intent of shooting occasionally sits in the cabinet for years. I'm sure I've got handloads that are over 10 years old. Sooner or later I'll get re-interested in the older guns and start shooting them again.

I can say with all honestly, the issue of cold welding seems to be more academic than anything of real concern. If I hadn't read about it on the web I wouldn't have ever realized that it was happening. The vast majority of my reloaded ammo is in brass that has been fire previously so maybe the carbon in the necks has prevented cold welding.

The whole issue seems overplayed to me. Mileage may vary for others.

Last edited:
I guess the question was too difficult to answer.
Listen here, a!!hat, I have a life other than be here. I don't have time all the time to respond quickly.....
My wife is 37 weeks pregnant with our first baby, I work out in the day and on the farm after till 9-10pm so 14-15hr days and we're building a house on top of it. I don't see you putting any advice or saying anything to help the matter so I tell you what BUTT OUT! Do your own research, I've researched everything I know about reloading that I've had problems with and asked questions on matters that I didn't know and I've never had an A!! statement like this. 💩head

So you dip the case neck and then charge and seat bullet? The powder pouring through the neck doesn't knock it off?

this is how I do it as well. Except I also prime after dipping so I know I don't get any excessive neck lube in the primer through the flash hole. I also empty a couple shells of 12 gauge trap loads into the half full container to help keep it from clumping and I feel it makes it a little more consistent. So after dipping neck I tap it a few times and then prime, charge, and seat

If you load 50 rounds and shoot 25 with good numbers and six months later you shoot the other 25 and your numbers are different , you have cold weld

That's not a very scientific way of proving what is causing your numbers to change, there are a lot of other factors that could be the cause of the changes.

Listen here, a!!hat, I have a life other than be here. I don't have time all the time to respond quickly.....
My wife is 37 weeks pregnant with our first baby, I work out in the day and on the farm after till 9-10pm so 14-15hr days and we're building a house on top of it. I don't see you putting any advice or saying anything to help the matter so I tell you what BUTT OUT! Do your own research, I've researched everything I know about reloading that I've had problems with and asked questions on matters that I didn't know and I've never had an A!! statement like this. 💩head

So, a!!hat (I assume that that's the way you speak to strangers in your neck of the woods), when you were doing all that research did everyone insult you and whine about their personal problems too or are you just a jerk.

That's not a very scientific way of proving what is causing your numbers to change, there are a lot of other factors that could be the cause of the changes.
Well I'm no Scientist but I have done a thorough test on this and came to my own conclusions that cold weld is a real thing and I was answering your question as simple as I could to avoid this situation but yet here we are. I've shot the bullets and pulled the bullets and I would go in to detail of what I've found but I feel by by your comments thus far that I my as well just save my time for something a little more worthwhile than arguing with you, How about you do your own test and get back to us in 6 months or so being that you seem to have all the answers, I'll be waiting

Last edited:
So, a!!hat (I assume that that's the way you speak to strangers in your neck of the woods), when you were doing all that research did everyone insult you and whine about their personal problems too or are you just a jerk.
Well when you yourself act like a "jerk" yourself first, yes, that's the way I act, because I'm going to speak my mind after that. I'm not whining about anything, I'm telling you that I'm a busy person and don't have time all the time to be playing on my phone and helping a person that wants answers but has to be an a!! about things. I can see this is a waste of time dealing with you.
NOBODY has disrespected me before like this on something so stupid, I mean, how childish of a comment. Do your own research if you can't be nice yourself FIRST! Go to YouTube, go to any search engine that blows your skirt up to find the answer your looking for now because I'm not going to answer your question anymore, you blew it.....even the guy above tried to help you and you disrespected his analysis.

I'm betting that your probably one of those demoncrat voters that evidence and someone's research isn't good enough or factual enough for you even if it slapped you in your smug face!!
YOU SIR ARE THE JERK IN THIS SPAT.

Last edited:
I have tried dipping bullets and dipping cases, haven't done either enough to notice a preference other than they both seem like a great place for inconsistency.

I can dip a bullet 5 times and pull it out and it's covered in graphite, I can do the exact same thing to the next one and it barely has any. That seems very inconsistent to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.