Question about wimd meters....

Redbone

When the base level reading of the RS meter is 5mph you are giving away 25-30 inches of drift at 1000yds before you can even begin to measure. A one mph error is 5-6 inches. This error is one top of other unknown wind drifts. Go see Shawn's post on the 338 edge vs the steel plate and look at his shooting lane. He is buffered by trees at the shooting point which reduces the measured velocity and very quickly the bullet will break out into open space where the true winds will hit it. Also, there are two winds in a canyon that you have to guess at. One is the vertical thermals and the other is the morning or evening downflow or upflow. Finally, there is the wind at the target site. At the target site, if you have good glass you can watch the vegatation to "guess" what it is. Then there is the wind angle which can be murderous. Where I hunt, there are vortexes formed by the river bends that range from a few hundred yards to a mile in diameter. My point is a wind meter gives you the most important wind which is the one at the barrel and all the rest are up to you to judge based upon that one data point. When you don't have that data point you just lick your finger and hold it up.

The radio shack is a good entry level wind meter that will help you a lot but when you get the perfect conditions early in the morning or late in the evening and just a little temperature induced canyon wind such as what Shawn had, your RS wind meter is not going to be of any help.

At closer ranges such as 500 yds small wind values are less important except for shooting at very small targets.

[ QUOTE ]
4)Omni directional.
I want to be able to look straight at the display, regardless of wind direction. Or, positon it so there's no glare from the setting sun on the display if that's the case.
Coyoter

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent post, I'm ordering one. The one problem you don't mention - now you have to determine the angle between the wind direction and LOS. By moving my CWW into the wind, I can determine the correct angle and adjust accordingly.

Nothing yet...still researching. The Caldwell looks nice...but I'm also checking out the Speedtech Watch. It provides more data that I'll need when changing from hunting the east coast to high in the Rockies. It has the anemometer and an altimeter, temp, etc.

Dan B

If you get a GPS unit, most of them tell you your elevation when they plot your position. Something to consider as you accumulate silicon chip devices.

B1G_BORE, you hit the nail on the head. You may have stumbled across the post I made some time back asking if someone knew of a weather vane type of gizmo that gives exact wind direction and this is precisely why I made the post. I've come up with an idea or two (OK, maybe 4) as to how to build something that will fit the bill, but so far have been too busy to make the thing. What I'm primarily picturing is a weather vane, mounted to a tripod, that has a gradient scale at the base. The numbers need to read from 0 to 90 to 0 (and back) because there's no point in doing the math to figure out wind angle of 274 degrees vs shooting angle of 67 degrees for a variation of.... I'd rather point "0" on the weather vane at the target and see what the wind angle relative to that is on an easy to read graph. I figure if my circle that the wind gauge is on is around 3" in diameter that I can have single degree readings, plug that angle into the 'ol laptop and be way better off than I would have been with Kentucky Windage for first shot hits.
I'd like two of those Radio Shack wind meters if you're game, E-Mail me with you're address and I'll fire you off a check.... I'm working on a project that they'll work great for, but I don't want to tie up the one I've got.
Coyoter

My new Skywatch Meteos arrived from AmbientWeather.com (They seem to have the best prices). Testing against my Caldwell this weekend I was very impressed with the Skywatch Meteos . Unfortunately for the 3rd time this year, I forgot to turn off my Caldwell and the CR2032 battery was dead. (I do this about half the time when using the illuminated reticle on my NF scopes).

I'm going to order the Kestrel 2500 with the Speedtech Wind Tunnel - Given this combination:
Meets NCAA Track and Field requirements and provides precise wind velocity in a <font color="red"> specific direction</font> for precision measurements.

I'm guessing it will be my best unit.

Let me know when you get the portable wind direction unit, that's what I really need.

I have a question.

Why can't I take a reading 90 degrees to my rifle and use that number? Isn't this the wind that my bullet will see? Why do i care what the full wind is unless that happens to be at 90 degrees?

thanks.

edge.

edge,
All I can say is "try it and let us know!" I honestly haven't played with a wind meter that has to be pointed into the wind to give full wind value and have no idea if holding it 45 degrees to the wind will give an accurate 50% reading. I would think that the manufacturers would try to make units that are directional "forgiving" of not being held exactly into the wind and still give close to full value even when held at a slight angle to it, but then I've been wrong before... Just ask my ex, my boss, my friends...
I am serous about hearing the results though. Great consept if it works!
Coyoter

hi all
that is a good point.do you hold the wind meter in to the wind to find out what direction it is coming from,and take a reading,say 3 O'Clock @ 7 mph and then put this in to your exbal.
or do you put 3 O'Clock in exbal and then take a reading at 12 O'Clock say 3 mph and put that in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
thanks
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.