Question about wimd meters....

Dan B

I'm looking at two models sold by Sierra Trading Post.

The first is a "Handheld Anemometer" by Lacrosse Technology. The cost is $29.95. Dimensions are approx 4"X1"x3.4" and weighs 1.6oz. It records:

Temp (updated every ten seconds) in C or F
Current Wind Speed in several different types of measure
Average Wind Speed
Maximum Wind Gusts
Wind Chill
Auto power off
LED Backlight
Neck Strap
Made in China

Second model is "Sherpa Atmospheric Data Center" by Brunton. Cost is $99.95. Size is 4"x1.75" and weighs 1.8oz. It records:

Altitude
Wind Speed
Wind Chill
Temperature
Time Barometric Pressure
All these over a 16 hour period
Lanyard
Water resistant case
Made in Switzerland

Is anyone using anything like this for obtaining data for LR hunting? I guess I am looking for recommendations to see if something like this would be beneficial to use in the field over a Kestrel unit (which I know are popular). These prices seem reasonable enough.

Thanks.

I do not know anything about those two but one thing you should check is minimum wind speed measurement. The radio shack does not measure below 5 mph. That leaves some severe guess work to be done. It is almost funny in that if it measures wind you probably don't want to shoot.

Unless you live around me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Wind gusts most days here will peg my radioshack wind meter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i use mine to put a number to the wind... that way I know what the constant wind is worth, and the gusts as well. Lets me know where in the letoff my windage will be good. Its that 15-25mph range im not good at estimating. under 10 is cake.

I've got a dozen of the radio shack units. Where I hunt, it's either zero or gusting in the teens or higher. I also have a
102302.JPG
Caldwell Wind Wizard ( about $35 ) that is far more sensitive and gives temp. I shows wind Vel to one decimal place. (getting the correct angle is more important). My watch tells me the bar pressure/altitude.

B1G_BORE,
What is your overall rating of the Caldwell unit?
I have been eyeing them, but have never heard any good or bad about them. They are about half to a third the price of the other good units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After playing with two different models, here's what I prefer...
1)Average wind.
This gives you a fairly constant wind value to correct for if you're putting the compensation dirrectly into your scope or simply adjusting your hold.
2)Current wind speed.
With a spotter, this can tell you when the current wind speed matches the conditions for which you plugged in your corrections. Shooting by yourself, you can get a feel for the wind by watching the speed and then try to shoot when the wind "feels" the same as the compensation you've entered.
3)Tripod mount.
By placing the tripod 4 to 6 feet upwind of your shooting position you get clean, constant readings for the most accurate, average wind speeds and directions. You don't have to pick it up to see if conditions have changed, you simply look over at it.
4)Omni directional.
I want to be able to look straight at the display, regardless of wind direction. Or, positon it so there's no glare from the setting sun on the display if that's the case.
I have the Skywatch Meteos and it fits these criteria wonderfully. It gives the temperature too, which I do plug into the 'ol ballistics program.
Altitude is also a factor and the Meteos doesn't tell me that, but I have other toys that do.
Hope this helps.... Even if it didn't answer your question!
Coyoter

[ QUOTE ]
B1G_BORE,
What is your overall rating of the Caldwell unit?
I have been eyeing them, but have never heard any good or bad about them. They are about half to a third the price of the other good units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've yet to use it for hunting/shooting - but I really like it (testing it in my back yard). It's far more accurate/sensitive than the radio shack units I have. I have not tried the $200 units.

Dan,
As you know I have the Kestrel and have liked mine.
Whatever you get make sure you get one that has the barometeric pressure feature.

[ QUOTE ]
Big Bore

Can you give me more Info about the wind wizard. ID #

My Raido shack store Can not find an wind meter .

Redbone

[/ QUOTE ]

The radio shack meter is part # 63-1119. Have them run the number and they will usually find one.

Fourinone may still have some. I got mine from him and it was NIB sealed with plastic and never been opened. He is easy to deal with. If you are interested, send him an email

Radio shack

>>The radio shack meter is part # 63-1119

After testing my Caldwell wind wizard (CWW) this weekend I decided to dump all my Rat Shack units # 63-1119 (all NIB) for $18 each (I pay shipping). I just ordered a second CWW.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.