Question about Rechambering

ANDREW RICKETTS

Question for all you gunsmiths out there. I recently dropped all my parts for my new rifle off at my gunsmith, while he's working on that project I would like to start ordering for another for a friend of mine. I have a Remington 700 synthetic stock .243 rifle that my father got me for Christmas one year when I was a young boy. Anyways, my question is, can the action from the .243 be used in combination with a proof research barrel to rechamber to a 6.5 CM? I would be putting a new stock on the rifle as well.

Have you shot it yet? Might not need a new barrel. Lighter trigger makes the biggest difference in my experience. Bedded stock wont hurt. Weight limit?

Light as possible, would be a new rifle for my girlfriend. She lives on 1000 acres, I'm lucky enough that she enjoys hunting as me, I want her to be able to practice alongside me out to 6-700 yards without all the recoil.

Light as possible, would be a new rifle for my girlfriend. She lives on 1000 acres, I'm lucky enough that she enjoys hunting as me, I want her to be able to practice alongside me out to 6-700 yards without all the recoil.
First, you don't date girls with 1000 acres, you MARRY them, you __________!!
Second, Depending on your barrel you can have it setback and rechambered, but most factory sporter barrels dont have enough room for that. Cost you about the same to sell that barrel and get a wilson or other for a very reasonable price.

Second, Depending on your barrel you can have it setback and rechambered, but most factory sporter barrels dont have enough room for that. Cost you about the same to sell that barrel and get a wilson or other for a very reasonable price.

Can't set back and re-chamber a 6mm to a 6.5... ;)

To the OP, whether to stick with 243 or go to 6.5CM depends on a number of things. The 243 will recoil less. The 6.5 will take game at longer distances. Both will pop targets well out to 1000 yards. If she is recoil sensitive, the 243 will recoil a bit less.

First thing I'd do is shoot that rifle as-is and decide what needs to be upgraded. I've had some factory barrels really surprise me and elect to keep them awhile.

Can't set back and re-chamber a 6mm to a 6.5... ;)

To the OP, whether to stick with 243 or go to 6.5CM depends on a number of things. The 243 will recoil less. The 6.5 will take game at longer distances. Both will pop targets well out to 1000 yards. If she is recoil sensitive, the 243 will recoil a bit less.

First thing I'd do is shoot that rifle as-is and decide what needs to be upgraded. I've had some factory barrels really surprise me and elect to keep them awhile.
That is true. I missed he wanted to chamber a 6.5 from a 243. OP, is that what you were asking?

As mentioned, the receiver/magazine/bolt are cross compatible between 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Do you reload? If not, I'd consider the 6.5 the better choice. By most reports, factory ammo is abundant, cheap, and accurate in most 6.5 CM rifles. There's also fewer "long range" offerings with high B.C. bullets in 243.

243 is a great little round, but if there's hunting of anything bigger than a coyote planned, I'd also favor the 6.5 CM. 243 will obviously kill deer, but the 6.5 will do it better and further most likely.

If you're planning on re-barreling anyway, there's no difference in cost/weight for 243 or 6.5CM. If you're really concerned about recoil with a 6.5, get a threaded barrel and install a decent brake.

Question for all you gunsmiths out there. I recently dropped all my parts for my new rifle off at my gunsmith, while he's working on that project I would like to start ordering for another for a friend of mine. I have a Remington 700 synthetic stock .243 rifle that my father got me for Christmas one year when I was a young boy. Anyways, my question is, can the action from the .243 be used in combination with a proof research barrel to rechamber to a 6.5 CM? I would be putting a new stock on the rifle as well.

No reason it shouldn't work just fine.

Or a second thought, just upgrade the barrel, trigger, and stock to increase accuracy of the 243? Thanks for all your opinions!

Put a good stock on it with a proper float and bedding job and go from there if you are content staying with the .243.

If that doesn't work out to suit you then go back to your original plan of buying a PR barrel in 6.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.