Question about the expansion of target bullets at low velocity.

Tamarac

I'm still in the planning stages of a 6.5 Grendelbuild. With a 24", 1-8" twist barrel, Ibelieve I can reasonably expect 2600 fps muzzle velocity (123 gr Amax). That equates to roughly 1500 fps at 800yards.

What I'm wondering is what people see for the expansion of target bullets (Amax,Matchking, Scenar, Berger VLD, etc…) at 1500 fps or below.

I know they're not reallydesigned for taking thin skinned game at 2400 fps+, but what about below that speed?

I would trust the A-MAX over any other "target" bullet at lower velocities. Its tip initiates expansion so it does not have to rely on a pin hole hollow point for the projectile to expand.

I've shot the 162gr A-Max at full throttle from my 7STW and they killed whitetails with authority. But at 1,500 ft/sec I doubt that you will see much expansion.

I'm experience, I think you'd be pleased with the 162 amax at 1500'sec. Even lower.

Scenars are the worst for expansion followed by the smk. Amaxs however are explosive.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.