Barnes 280 grain LRX low velocity expansion results.

barnesuser28

I finally got to the range to test the low end velocity expansion of the 280 grain Barnes LRX from my dads savage 338 Lapua using trail boss powder and the bullets seated to just kiss the lands.

I had 34" of wet newspaper backed by 5 milk jugs at 50yds, all bullets stopped at about the 30" mark.

The first shot had an impact velocity of approx 1400 fps, the bullet hit and angled upward so we did not recover it.

The second shot had an impact velocity of approx 1500 fps, the bullet left a wound channel about 2" wide beginning about 2" into the paper all the way to where it stopped. The frontal diameter of the bullet is .600 at its widest point and it is 1.497 long.

The third shot had an impact velocity of approx 1600 fps, the bullet left a wound channel about 2.5" wide starting from about 2" into the paper all the way to where the bullet was recovered. The frontal diameter of the bullet is .595 at its widest point and is 1.470 long.

The fourth shot had an approx impact velocity of 2650 fps, the bullet left a wound channel about 4" wide starting from the first inch if the newspapers all the way to where the bullet was recovered, you could see how wide the hydrostatic shock was and it was about 7" wide. The frontal diameter of the bullet is .739 at its widest point and is 1.075 long. With textbook expansion.

On a side note I shot a load of my 257 Roberts with the 80 grain TTSX and got an es of 0 for 3 shots and it grouped .308 CTC at 100 yds.

I will post pics tomorrow, today was the last day of summer vacation but at least it ended with a bang.:D

great test and thanks for sharing! Did you simply load your ammo down to that velocity?

I wonder how the bergers would do, I have always wanted to side by side compare barnes and berger. Its really a shame that the barnes have such a low B.C.

Nice shooting too... theres nothing wrong with .305 CTC!:D

Riley,

Nice test.

Not sure exactly what we learned here except that it's lethal on wet newspaper.

It would be interesting to repeat the same test with lower impact velocity as well as varying density materials.

-- richard

p.s. Dad always said, "eat what you kill."
So, I just have to ask how that newspaper tasted? ;-)

Yes angus i down loaded them to that velocity using trail boss. Hey, ill shoot the bergers is someone supplied them!:D if you search Trail Boss in 338 Lapua you will find the thread i started on here.

Richard, you said to do the test again with lower impact velocities and varying density materials. What did you have in mind? Btw the newspapers didnt taste to good especially the comics they had a really funny taste to them.:D

if you have ever bought a can of nightcrawlers the mushy paper they come in is the same consistancy as what was left after the 2650 fps shot.

I should add that Barnes designed them to expand down to 1600 fps. I would have no problem shooting them at an elk if impact velocity was 1500 fps or more.

How densely packed was the paper, did you have it all tight or just loosely stacked? PM me your address and I'll send you a few Cutting Edge 252gr bullets.

GetAttachment.aspx
The phonebook that fell was the first book for the 2650 fps load and is about 2.5" thick. Expansion was within the first inch.

GetAttachment.aspx
You can kinda see the hydrolic shock that is around the newspaper mulch. :D

attachment.php
left to right: 1500 fps weighs 278.7, 1600 fps weighs 278.7, 2650 fps weighs 272.7, 162 grain hornady A-Max in water jugs at 1200 fps weighs 161.7. The 2650 fps bullet lost a small piece of the petal that can be clearly seen on this pic.

attachment.php

Same order as above.

Last edited:
Let me try again.

Left to right: 1500 fps weighs 278.7, 1600 fps weighs 278.7, 2650 fps weighs 272.7, 162 grain hornady A-Max in water jugs at 1200 fps weighs 161.7. The 2650 fps bullet lost a small piece of the petal that can be clearly seen on the last pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3569.JPG
    IMG_3569.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_3568.JPG
    IMG_3568.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_3567.JPG
    IMG_3567.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 578
It wont let me post a pic of the wound channel. If anyone wants pics of it pm me your e-mail address and i will send them.

bigngreen did you get my PM?

GetAttachment.aspx
The phonebook that fell was the first book for the 2650 fps load and is about 2.5" thick. Expansion was within the first inch.

GetAttachment.aspx
You can kinda see the hydrolic shock that is around the newspaper mulch. :D

Did this one work?

Did you get my PM?

I see boolits :D Got your PM and the CE's will be in the mail ASAP.

Okay so it just dawned on me that we still have the newspapers so i can take i pic with an actual camera rather than with my IPhone so i can actually post them. :rolleyes:

Top one is about 6" in and i fired the 2650 fps load the last so the other two shots went in that gaping hole.:D

Second one is about 12" in again the first two went in same area so they are not visable.

The third pic is the exit at about 27". top left is 1500 fps top center is 2650, and lower right is 1600 fps.

The fourth is half way through the same phone book as the above picture.

The fifth is the entrance in the same book as the above two.

All bullets were found front first.

Attachments

• IMG_3570.JPG
    IMG_3570.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3572.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3573.JPG
    IMG_3573.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 234
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts