Bullets that expand at low velocity

Bull45cal.

Alright guys, I need some information on long range bullets. I am messing with a special lower velocity load for hunting in an area where I need to be quite, and very safe. I'm loading 155gr A-Max 30cal bullets @ 2,300 fps. I'm getting good accuracy, but I'm concerned with the expansion of the bullets at low impact velocity. I need a bullet that will expand well at impact velocities as low as 1,500 fps, but not explode @ 2,200 fps. Will the A-Max do the trick? My research tell's me that I have enough energy for the very small whitetails I will be shooting. I just need to know I'll have the expansion I need in soft tissue.

I don't know about the expansion you will get but if you are shooting whitetail's put the bullet into a front shoulder and even if it does not expand much they ain't going no where. The bone fragments and shock will do a number on them. You will most likely get pretty good expansion with the A-Max. Your best bet would be to go with a 125 gr Sierra or one of the bullets made for the 30-30 win. A 30 cal. pushing a 150 gr bullet 2200 fps will not be quite.

Thank you Gentlemen for your input,

RT2506: I have tried the 130gr. Hornady SP's over 46gr. of Benchmark. Year before last, I took 4 deer with that load. One was a head shot at 60-80 yards, another was a shot down through the lungs and removed the heart at about 20 yards, another was a heart/lung shot at about 80 yards, with the last being a high shoulder shot at 150. All were DRT except the 80 yard heart/lung shot. The only thing is that it sounds like a cannon going off in the little valley that I hunt. My wifes folks own a 50 acre farm with fussy female neighbors that don't like hunters. I try not to stir-up too much trouble, so I started developing this load (155 A-Max over 28gr. of SR-4759 @ ~ 2300 fps). This load is considerably less offensive to the ears. It sounds more like a 9mm.

Varmint Hunter: Yes, I have considered the pistol bullets, but the BC is so low. I want to be able to reach out to at least 300 yards. I would have to drive them much faster, with much more muzzle blast to accomplish this. I don't think the bullets can handle that kind of speed either.

Michael Eichele: Thank you for the expansion information on the A-Max. I will be making head and neck shots under 200 yards, and placing them in the vitals beyond that. Do you think that a 155 A-Max would break the shoulders of a small whitetail @ 1500 fps, or just break up the bullet?

Again, thank you gentlemen for your assistance, and nice to hear from you.

Last edited:
2000fps is a good rule of thumb for minimum impact velocity. I know the 7mm 168vld berger absolute minimum impact velocity is 1800fps due to inconsistent expansion(I mean either open up or zero expansion) under that 1800fps velocity.

In what I have seen, the Amax expands better at lower velocity than those soft berger vlds.

1500fps sounds likes a good minimum impact velocity for the Amax, testing it is the only way to find out.

Good luck.

Matbe look into the Nosler Long Range Accubond. Would have to figure that since it is designed to expand reliably at extended ranges then it should expand closer at lower velocities. It would give you the high BC you want too. Also, have you thought about a suppressor? Then you could shoot any good load at normal velocities and it wouldn't be any loader than a .22 crack. or silent if you went with a 300 BLK sub.

86alaskan, thank you for the reply. Lots of things have changed for me over the almost 7 years since I ask this question on this forum. I now have several more guns, in more calibers, and my ballistics knowledge has increased substantially. However, I've never tested the Nosler Long Range Accubond bullets. I now own a 300 Blackout, and several others calibers that help complete the task from which my question stemmed. My testing did reveal that a 155gr A-Max will work well in that application. As the 300 Blackout attests, a 110gr V-Max (just a lighter A-Max) will do the job own down to around 1900-1800fps impact velocity. I'm to the point now, that I'd trust a 155gr A-Max down to an impact velocity of 1500fps or even lower, depending on the certainty of bullet placement. Again, thanks for the input and I wish you light winds on your hunts.

Alright guys, I need some information on long range bullets. I am messing with a special lower velocity load for hunting in an area where I need to be quite, and very safe. I'm loading 155gr A-Max 30cal bullets @ 2,300 fps. I'm getting good accuracy, but I'm concerned with the expansion of the bullets at low impact velocity. I need a bullet that will expand well at impact velocities as low as 1,500 fps, but not explode @ 2,200 fps. Will the A-Max do the trick? My research tell's me that I have enough energy for the very small whitetails I will be shooting. I just need to know I'll have the expansion I need in soft tissue.

I will speak for the 215 Berger Hybrid in 30 cal. I have sent them through the soft part of antelope at 1700 fps and got golf ball sized exits. We have shot them from 308 wins with lower MV in the 2400 to 2600 range and found them to perform very well on game. But I am sorry I do not have a 1500 fps impact on game. However this bullet would be worth a look and my choice is I was going there.

Jeff

I will speak for the 215 Berger Hybrid in 30 cal. I have sent them through the soft part of antelope at 1700 fps and got golf ball sized exits. We have shot them from 308 wins with lower MV in the 2400 to 2600 range and found them to perform very well on game. But I am sorry I do not have a 1500 fps impact on game. However this bullet would be worth a look and my choice is I was going there.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I've been wondering about those Berger Hybrids. That is quality info you are passing along here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.