Quest for a Mile- 300 Win Mag

Wow, I am super impressed with all of the feedback. Thanks guys. To be clear, I suspect that after I have achieved this one mile goal, I won't likely pursue it on a regular basis with this rifle. If I get addicted to the ELR sport for targets I will have an excuse to build something that is best suited for that. I'm guessing that would be something in the .375 category (Cheytac or similar).

I have not herd much about barrel contours from you guys that have done this. Knowing that I won't be rapid firing at these ranges, I would like to keep the contour as small as possible and still be effective. I'm thinking Light varmint, or Sendero contour, so that It isn't too much of a beast to carry a little ways on a hunt. Thoughts?

Wow, I am super impressed with all of the feedback. Thanks guys. To be clear, I suspect that after I have achieved this one mile goal, I won't likely pursue it on a regular basis with this rifle. If I get addicted to the ELR sport for targets I will have an excuse to build something that is best suited for that. I'm guessing that would be something in the .375 category (Cheytac or similar).

I have not herd much about barrel contours from you guys that have done this. Knowing that I won't be rapid firing at these ranges, I would like to keep the contour as small as possible and still be effective. I'm thinking Light varmint, or Sendero contour, so that It isn't too much of a beast to carry a little ways on a hunt. Thoughts?

if you are really going 28-30" on that rig I'd go Heavy Palma if you're recoil sensitive and Medium if you want it to be somewhat of a rock and roll gun. There are many contours close to those of course. Depends on your stock setup and all that as well.

Are you saying it can't be done, because you can't do it?
Or, does it upset you that a mile can be had with everyday cartridges? BC, velocity and transonic transition is key, it doesn't matter what size the cartridge.

Well reread what I said. Assuming you've done it, you surly know its essentially a waste of time and ammo.
He might be lucky if the wind isn't blowing, but so what? what does it prove?
If it is blowing he might be lucky to hit a VW beetle parked over there.
But I have the place for you to show me im wrong,
and your welcome to come and do it.

Well reread what I said. Assuming you've done it, you surly know its essentially a waste of time and ammo.
Nah, I was really just wondering why.
You do know drift is determined by BC not weight right ?

Well as for BC, my opinion of it is that it has become very much a sales tool, same as covers on sex magazines.
By that im not saying it dosent matter, just that it dosent always jive with the real world results. And you don't get to see much real world results on YouTube. You see the results your intended to see and not much else. But that's the world we now live in, and some obviously know how to best utilize it.
Used to be that the only way to get any information was by actuall shooting, and that even included click charts. That actually wasent all that long ago.
Not saying that way was better, but one thing it did do was to show the shooter a live picture of what was going on. Today that seems to be lacking to a large degree, and as a result were having this discussion.
I hope the OP does get to shoot as he desires, and I hope he does well. I would also hope he post his actual results and honest opinions after he does.

.....I have not herd much about barrel contours from you guys that have done this. Knowing that I won't be rapid firing at these ranges, I would like to keep the contour as small as possible and still be effective. I'm thinking Light varmint, or Sendero contour, so that It isn't too much of a beast to carry a little ways on a hunt. Thoughts?..........

Some states have a weight limit, just keep it legal where you're going to use it.

Trade offs between a shooting rifle weight, and a hunting rifle weight. Decide how much total weight you can stand, and start looking at weight on scopes, and other components.

I don't think this guy is hunting at a mile.
I could be wrong though.

Actually very few are. At least very few are advertising they are. I don't know a single person who has claimed to kill a buck at a mile in PA, and ive known lots who would like to claim they have.
How long has it been since the "extreme" section of this site has been with us? Did I sleep thru all the extreme kills that have been made and talked about? Bet your ranch there have been more than a few that haven't been talked about.

Actually very few are. At least very few are advertising they are. I don't know a single person who has claimed to kill a buck at a mile in PA, and ive known lots who would like to claim they have.
How long has it been since the "extreme" section of this site has been with us? Did I sleep thru all the extreme kills that have been made and talked about? Bet your ranch there have been more than a few that haven't been talked about.
I'm pretty sure this guy wants to lob some heavies out a mile and see if he can hit a steel plate. Again, I could be wrong.
Maybe that's where you and I got mixed up. We were talking about solutions to someone having a 300 Win mag, and wanting to shoot a mile. You seem to think he's going to hunt at a mile. In the case of mile hunting, admittedly the only thing I hunt at a mile, is a place to shoot a mile.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.