308 Win at 0.943 Mile!

RO828,

Thanks for the info. That's 2.54 miles. Now I'm curious. Where's my Geometry Book:rolleyes:. This stuff is addicting.

Nother thought, Who's the guy that builds barrels out of axles? That's very interesting.

Thanks,

Crusty Buck

@ Crusty Buck

Todd Hodnett at Accuracy First is getting hits at a mile with .308Win. Also an Army sniper made a 1200yrd kill shot in Iraq a few years back. So the 308 has the velocity and the energy to take care of business, granted its just not as sexy as say a 338LM.

@ Crusty Buck

Todd Hodnett at Accuracy First is getting hits at a mile with .308Win. Also an Army sniper made a 1200yrd kill shot in Iraq a few years back. So the 308 has the velocity and the energy to take care of business, granted its just not as sexy as say a 338LM.

this in my opinion is the problem with internet chatting about this stuff.
some guy is gonna say wow look at that. i have a 308 i can kill with at
1000yds or more.
and the fact is he dosent unless he's good at head shots.
on another site recently a guy was shooting at gallon jugs filled with water.
reason being he likes seeing things blow up. his 308 168 gr smk not only didnt
blow up the jug at 800 yds. it never even exited the jug.
please try some of those type test also and publish that information.

PPD7800 and yobuck,

When I served in Armor, our 7.62 NATO coax had the same trajectory as our 105 mm High Explosive Plastic round. I never really knew how far the HEP would shoot though, now I have a good idea. Shooting milk jugs, ringing gongs, and punching paper is challenging and fun. Cleanly killing an animal is another thing. I personal would not attempt a shot on a deer beyond 600 yds. At 500 yds. I have watched my 155's and 168's get blown off the spot by the wind. A wounded animal is no badge of honor for a good hunter. It is amazing what the 308W will do though. Thanks for the good information.

Crusty Buck

PPD7800 and yobuck,

When I served in Armor, our 7.62 NATO coax had the same trajectory as our 105 mm High Explosive Plastic round. I never really knew how far the HEP would shoot though, now I have a good idea. Shooting milk jugs, ringing gongs, and punching paper is challenging and fun. Cleanly killing an animal is another thing. I personal would not attempt a shot on a deer beyond 600 yds. At 500 yds. I have watched my 155's and 168's get blown off the spot by the wind. A wounded animal is no badge of honor for a good hunter. It is amazing what the 308W will do though. Thanks for the good information.

Crusty Buck

your quite welcome and im glad your up to speed with this.
my kids used to shoot at rocks at up to 600 yds with 22 mags for fun.
but fun is one thing and killing animals is quite another.

As long as we are talking 308 Win, what is the opinion of those reading this thread about the 30-06 vs the 308W for long range shots. I know a former Marine Sniper who now build's some of the best AR's in the country. He believes the 308W is more accurate and delivers more down range energy than the 06. I told him, the 308W may be more accurate, but could not understand it delivering more down range energy, given the larger case volume of the 06. Anybody have any thoughts here? Could the 06 duplicate the .943 mile shot of RO828's 308W?

Crusty Buck

As long as we are talking 308 Win, what is the opinion of those reading this thread about the 30-06 vs the 308W for long range shots. I know a former Marine Sniper who now build's some of the best AR's in the country. He believes the 308W is more accurate and delivers more down range energy than the 06. I told him, the 308W may be more accurate, but could not understand it delivering more down range energy, given the larger case volume of the 06. Anybody have any thoughts here? Could the 06 duplicate the .943 mile shot of RO828's 308W?

Crusty Buck

"He believes the 308W is more accurate and delivers more down range energy than the 06."

Your Marine friend has had a 'brain phart'!!

yobuck I agree with you 100 percent I do however shoot well beyond the 800 yard max that most people will tell you that a 308 is good for. I shoot steel and wild pigs, not game animals for that I have a 6.5-284 and a 300win. mag it is nice to see that there are still like my go to round.

Very nice man. Would like to know more.

Was this your own reloads or factory match ammo?

What velocity do you launch these 168grainers?

Why not use the 155gr Lapua scenar?

If I do my calculations on jbm ballistic program it seems the lapuas launched at 2900fps still have higher velocity and ftlb at 1000m then 168 and 175gr launched at 2750 and 2600fps respectively. Or how fast can you get those 168grainers?

Thanks

I haven't considered the 155. When I get some time ill run some numbers and shoot you a pm along with the answers to the rest of your questions. I've been swamped at work so haven't had much time to spend around here lately. Hope to talk to you soon!

I am getting 2750 pushing a 175 SMK. This is out of a 22" Krieger @ 2250 ft. I can push 155s faster but this load will hold .25 out to 400 so I stick with them.:rolleyes:

I am not saying that it is not a good bullet, even if I had them I could not shoot them as well as those pictured as very few can. I can buy 175 smk @ local gun shop he does'nt carry 155s. That is what I was saying I have a load that my gun loves why try something different.

Wow 2750 with a 175gr is great. I'd be happy with that. And its a longer bullet. How do they perform on game at longrange when velocity is low? Is the nosler cc 175gr a identical bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts