308 Win at 0.943 Mile!

Marlinproud, If I could dope the wind correctly, I would not hesitate to launch a 175 Anything at a deer at 500 yds. out of the snappy .308. If it was a target bullet, I'd stay out of the meat. It would also make for a great lung shot on an Elk as well. My little bro made a shot on a deer in the lungs with some 168 Amax's I gave him. Wamo, down it went with no meat wasted. Although I have no experience with any kills over 350 yds, I think the results with the Amax would have been the same on a deer at 1000 yds., with a lung shot, but there I go thinking again:)

Crusty Buck

Lets not forget the FBI HRT sniper who was involved in the controversial deployments during the 1992 Ruby Ridge standoff . Back then I understood most of them used the 308W. I would think they used the same 308W on the perp in IDAHO last week. I would also think that they have a few SPECIAL WEAPONS dudes that use 300 WM and some 338 LM for special events when they have to reach out and touch someone! Might even have some of Shawn's stuff.
Congrats on getting it done. Fine shooting in 4 shots.

Any one have current knowledge on what most of the HRT is shooting??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.