Quality of different brand mil dot scopes?

Hi Sam,

If you send me your email I can forward to you the paija ballistic software modified to read hold overs in MIL DOT, and clicks, at variable power scope zoom, and also the size of the target desired at variable power scope.
I did all this changes for myself, because I own a mildot scope, and I could not find a software to give me all this vital info.
Also you have the drop chart for your load.

Chris

SamSpade,
I have looked at the Barska but was unsure of the quality of its construction. As far as the reticle getting bigger when zooming the power on a FFP scope, I believe this must happen with all FFP reticles. I don't think the custom reticle would be a good idea as trajectory of the bullet at long range could vary considerably from my home state at 1100 ft altitude to my normal elk hunting spot at 8500 ft. There are a few spots as high as 11,000 ft.

JonA,
I went to the Schmit-Bender site. I like the lines on the reticle as opposed to dots. I would guess those lines also represent mils? I'm just looking for a fixed reference on the scope that I can use as opposed to using clicks. I'm just afraid I would get mixed up in the heat of the moment with clicks and miss the only opportunity I drove 1100 miles for.

300RUM,
you can just click on my name to see my email address. Anybody who wants to send me stuff can feel free to. Just put something in the subject that lets me know what it is so I don't delete it.

I seem to have the knack for starting up these big threads. I learn a lot through them. Thanks again guys! Any other scope brands that have mil or moa lines as opposed to dots?

I checked out the Super Snipers and they look impressive, but I want a variable power so I can locate the critter on lower power an then zoom up. I think a fixed 10x might be a little low power for hunting shots at longer ranges towards 1000 yds, and 16x fixed would be too much if I get a chance for a quick short shot.

I think I may go with the Millett 4-16 Side Focus Mil dot scope with turrets. It has gotten good reviews on www.midwayusa.com The dots are calibrated at 10x but Millett has a chart showing what they subtend at different magnifications. Of course I would have to see for myself with a known size target at a known distance. I think it will suit my needs at a very reasonable price.

[ QUOTE ]

The Super snipers are just that because they are all fixed power.
A 10X power scope can be used on shots to 1000 yards with the right practice. JMHO FWIW...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ric or anyone else familiar with the SS scopes,

Have any of you used the 24x SS scope? opinons?

I have no experience with the SS 24x but I'm sure its great at gathering mirage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a SS in 10x, and two Leupold's Mk4.

To make it short, the SS is NOTHING to write home about...as expected and as compared to the Mk4's

You get what you pay for, overall not a bad scope, if you are not very pretentious.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.