Quality of different brand mil dot scopes?

sambo3006

I'm looking for a mil dot scope for my 30" 300RUM that is in the works. Got a baby on the way so this will have to be as cheap as practical. In other words, no Nightforce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Weaver makes 6-24 but that is too much power. Swift makes a 4.5-14 and a 6-18. They have fully multicoated lenses. Millett makes a 4-16 side focus with turrets. I have not heard anything about the Swift or the Millett. Any other moderate price brands? Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Sam

BUSHNELL 10X40 CHEAP, REPEATABLE TRACKING(BARRETT USES THEM ON HIS FIFTIES) GOT MINE THRU ETRONICS.COM FOR 165.00 SHIPPED.

I would also take a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40. Quality scope for a good price. Comes with 95% light transmission and Transferable Lifetime Warranty. Great scope for the money!

Ric,
I assume the mil dots are calibrated at max power and I think 24x would be way too much for a shot at 500 yds. The particular area that I elk hunt has lots of cedars and pines and the elk appear in small openings sometimes. I would prefer lower power for that kind of range while still having my mil dots usable, and my max will be 1000 yds assuming that I am confident that far. I have not as of yet practiced farther than 600 yds but intend to stretch that out when the 300RUM is done. The 265 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT at around 2900 fps (more?) ought to be impressive downrange. I'm just guessing on the velocity, I'll take what the rifle gives me safely. I'll check out the Super Sniper scopes you suggested.

Thanks,
Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Sambo,

1 year ago I got for my 300rum a Sightron SII 6-20x50 Side Focus MILDOT scope with 1 inch tube, without braking the scope.
The price it was $550.00.
The mils are calibrated for maximum power (20x).
My first choise will be SUPERSNIPER 16x fixed power scope ($250 USD), but because I leave in Canada, The company will never ship this type of sccope to me.
So I got my Sightron, and I'm very happy.
Go with SUpersniper, and you will have 108MOA on Elevation.
Sigtron have just 50MOA Elevation.

Chris

Am I correct in assuming that a first focal plane mil dot reticle will maintain the same ratio of mils to target size when you zoom in and out on the power? Who makes a first focal plane variable power mil dot reticle scope? That would be ideal for my purposes. I could find the elk on lower power and then zoom in as needed for precise aiming.

I think one can use a ballistic program to calculate trajectory in mils, then just use a drop chart like you would with moa. I believe a mil is 3.6" at 100 yds. I'm learning this stuff a little at a time.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Keep it coming!

That's correct on the FFP scopes. IMO, tyhe best application for a mil-dot scope is as an accurate form of reticle windage reference with a turret for vertical. But i do like direct windage reference with my reticles. Might take a good look at these guys too (FFP reticles). They have BDC reticles, but i simply adapt them to whatever cartrdige i'm using them with. Their reticles provide a very precise system of reference that suits me.

www.rapidreticle.com

First a "True" mil-dot is 3.6" but some manufacturers use 3.55 or 3.44 but the difference is very minimal and not worth worrying about. (Our armed forces use two different figures?)

Then the variable scopes are set to read mils at a specific power 10X, 12 or maybe 14x as in Burris's case. But you can buy an expensive scope that will read mils at all power settings because the reticle is on the first focal plane.

On most mildot scopes if your scope is sighted in at 100yds the first dot is 3.6" high and second dot is 7.2" high. If you are shooting at 200 yards the first dot is 7.2 and the second is 14.4. So where the confusion comes in is if you are shooting at 200 yards and your bullet drop is 7.2" at that range you would use the first dot. Not the second dot as seems to be the logical answer because of the 100 yd reading.

All of this changes with the power setting (not on first focal plane scopes). If your scope is set to read mils at 10X and you are at 20X everything is cut in half. Example, the first dot would be 1.8" at 100 yds and the second dot 3.6" and so on.

So you can see that you need a through understanding of the use of Mil-Dots.

Remember that mil-dot's "intended" use is for range finding not holdover!

If your target is 150 yards away it isn't easy to get on target using some point between the dots.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I correct in assuming that a first focal plane mil dot reticle will maintain the same ratio of mils to target size when you zoom in and out on the power?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. THIS SITE will help give you a better visual.

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes a first focal plane variable power mil dot reticle scope?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd add IOR to the above list. They have a 2.5-10 FFP available here and I believe you can still get on the list for the first batch of the new 3-18 which will be FFP (MP-8 reticle similar to the P-4 shown above). My personal feeling is FFP is a bigger deal on scopes over 10X than it is on scopes up to that as 10X is rarely too much power any time you'd actually be using the reticle, but would still prefer it on lower power scopes if given a choice.

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes a first focal plane variable power mil dot reticle scope? That would be ideal for my purposes. I could find the elk on lower power and then zoom in as needed for precise aiming.

[/ QUOTE ]
Barska makes a the following:
* 4-16X50 and a 6-20X50
* Etched Glass Reticle
* Mil-Dot Reticle
* Reticle on the First Focal Plan
* Fully Multicoated lenses
* Side Focus
Price is between $180 to $250.

I have one of each that I just beginning to test. So far the scope are bright and clear through all power settings. The clicks are positive and right on. One thing I don't like and not sure if it happens with the more expensive FFP scopes is the reticle gets larger as you increase the power.
As of now I like the reticle on the 4-16 because it is thinner, going from very thin at 4X and about ideal at 16X.

I haven't had the time yet to test the dots as to their correctness but hopefully as soon as the weather warms up I will give them a work out.

Here is an example of a drop chart I developed for a 17HMR using a variable scope (not FFP) with mil-dots setting at 10X.
I don't use this chart anymore because the HMR shoots pretty flat out the it's effective killing range of 150 yards but it will give you the idea. You can see where the problem comes in, how do you sight on a target useing a .78 dot hold and with this kind of drop you had better know the range.

I have a Excel spreadsheet that will calculate the dot settings and all you have to do is input the drop. I can send it to you if you like.
Mildot17hmr.jpg

Sam, there is another option that you can look at, having dots set at your desired drop settings. Example I have a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X on a 222AI that I had TK Lee put dots in at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. He will take your trajectory and put in dots at your desired yardages. He will also put these dots at any specific power setting and any size dots. Don't make the mistake that I did and put in a 1/4" dot when he suggested a 3/8" for hunting purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.