quality of burris scopes??

remingtonman_25_06

I just broke down and bought a Burris Fullfield 2, 3-9x40 Bal-Plex matte, to atop my Win Mdl 70 25-06 Rem. Had to give my dads Leupold back! I have always had Leupold scope with the "click system" on my big game rifles for the majority so I went ahead with Burris B-Plex to try something new. I read about the 95% light transmission and studied the bal-plex that would work with a couple of my loads out to 600 yards, all for $199.99, throw in the landmark spotting scope for free and you've got yourself a heck of a deal. I ordered it from Midway. Anyway, upon arrival of the scope I find that the outer edge appears to be very blurry. I tried focusing and it only got worse. Is this normal? Some of you Burris fans chime in. It appears to be very clear up to about 6x then it gets very blurry around the outer edge of the sight picture. I dont know what the hell thats about but it does not compare to the old Leupold vx 2 that you could buy for $199. Anyways, I still mounted the scope and went to sight it in right away. I had to play with the B-plex reticle. I loaded up my pet load with the 117g SBT at 3035fps and sighted in dead on at 200 yards. This is for the magnum trajectory. Within 5 shots, I had hit the milk jug I placed at 525 by placing the 500 line on top of the jug. I was quite impressed. But still not impressed about the sight picture on 9x. I just wonder how they claim 95% when leupolds old vx 2 was only 88% or 91% and they are a whole lot more crisp all the way around. Anyways, I'll see how this Burris holds up for a while.

Silly question: did you play around and try to adjust the focus and/or parallax adjust (if it has it) on this scope? Might help, might not.

Not much of a Burris user myself, though I've been leaning that way for hunting scopes. For LR target scopes I've been a little skeptical over the Burris models, but may give 'em a try down the road.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Monte

Mounting your scope for eye relief and adjusting the eye piece for your eye are very important for clarity. I own a 2X10x50 Burris Signature with posi-lock since 1994. Sent it in last year for the B/plex installation last year; and can honestly say there Customer Service is great. The .338 Lapua hammers the scope; and everything stays on zero all the time!.

I have signatures on magnums and guns with breaks,..no problems at all (knocks on wood). I like the Burris stuff,..have a signature select 3-12x44 on order right now.

If it aint clear,..send it back!

[ 11-10-2004: Message edited by: JustC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.