Q for Ian M: Specs of rifle in Nikon ad??

IChaseCoues

Ian M,
Recent mags have an ad for Nikon that features a pic of you and a good looking rifle.
Do you have any of the specs on that rifle?
Was mainly curious what barrel profile and stock were used and rifle weight.
Thanks!

I'm gonna take a guess--is it Remington's new VSF? Any other guesses?
Ian--if this is right, how do they shoot? I was thinking about buying one. Thanks.

Right on, that is a Varmint Synthetic in .308 Win. We got lucky, they bought new rifles for the seminars and they all shot well. We had a Browning varmint (blued composite) in .223 Rem., .243 Rem M-700 in the laminated Varminter, the above .308 Win. and a Weatherby Vanguard blued composite in 7mm Rem mag. I got to suggest the rifles, calibers and ammo. We shot Black Hills Gold ammo in all calibers, the ammo shot so well most people took the incredible accuracy for granted.
The .243 was the platform for a new laser scope. The .308 was a frigging tack-driver, despite a bit of a heavy trigger - it shot superbly out to 600 yards. The Weatherby was just plain amazing. That little rifle was shot so hot you could hardly see through the scope, and it kept hitting the vitals of the steel deer, coyotes and gongs all the way out to 700 at one shoot. Even with minimal cleaning the group of rifles shot well, I was surprised and impressed. We also had four muzzleoaders, three T/C's and a Disc rifle that took a hell of a pounding through four shooting seminars.

I was the shooting instructor for some special Nikon training seminars whereby we trained a bunch of top level sales folk so they could become regional trainers and conduct Challenges for sales people throughout the US with the BDC reticle. Neat thing was we did it on the range, best way to convince someone that a reticle works is to teach them how to shoot it and watch them smack targets at distances they had never attempted. Did semnars near Denver, Abiline, St. Louis and Philadelphia. Used steel targets 95% of the shooting.
The BDC is a very slick hold-off reticle, it just plain works out to 5-600 yards for centerfire and 250-300 for in-lines.
Nasty job, shootin all that ammo in those brand new rifles with all those incredible Nikon scopes on them, but...
I not only took the challenge, guess you could say I designed and implemented it for some really fine people. That was enjoyable, meeting so many hunters from all across the U.S.

[ QUOTE ]
I was the shooting instructor for some special Nikon training seminars whereby we trained a bunch of top level sales folk so they could become regional trainers and conduct Challenges for sales people throughout the US with the BDC reticle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to one around Sherman, TX. The reticle works well. They told us to start @ whatever distance we were comfortable at and work out to 500 yds. Well Steve set down behind a Tikka Tactical .308 and I said, "Shoot the deer @ 500." He did. Then he shot the hog. Then he shot the deer between the eyes. It wasn't long before someone else said, "Hey, someones shot the deer @ 500 in the head!!"

All in all it was a good time. I think the circles on the BDC work well. The instructor said it was endorsed by Ian McMurchey(sorry if I goofed), "one of the premier long range shooters in the world." I have to say your reputation proceeds you sir!!!

HA HA HA HA

The seminar was a lot of fun, even though they got kinda frustrated when me and BJ keep going right out to the farthest targets instead of working our way out like everyone else!!

The reticle works very nicely, i was truely impressed. We also got to fire several nice guns including the tactical Tikka 308 and a couple of beautiful Merkels.

The only one i didnt like was a 5lb 270win Merkel. A gorgeous gun but the little SOB would pop the crap out of you with every shot!!!

It was kind of nice to be hear these reps talking on and on about Ian McMurchy and to think I kinda know that guy!!!

take it easy
steve

Man, guess I didn't look as close as I thought!
So its a VSF, Thought the barrel looked a little lighter in contour.
In the pic it looked like a lighter weight gun!
Thanks for the answers!
Keep on teaching the teachers.
It's pretty neat to have the ability to ask questions of experts, and even us newbies get a good answer.
I love this place!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.