Nice article by Ian M.

remingtonman_25_06

I got the latest issue of North American Hunter I believe and right at first glance on the cover says something about "going long." I immediately flipped to the page and what do ya know, our very own Ian M. was doing the writing.

I'd just like to say it was a good article and its nice to see some authors promoting the sport of long range hunting.

I especially liked the test you did with the peoples own rifles to 300 yards... If you asked me, those guys were pretty **** poor shots if they cant consistently hit at 300 yards with a bipod prone rest in the field..It was something like 5%. Obviously the guys werent from LRH, or the hit ratio woulda been much higher..They musta just been the average joe blow, shoot a couple times a year type guys. Even at 200 yards, the hit percentage was only like 66%, at 200 yards!!!

I read it too, pretty nice. Its pretty cool to read a article by a guy you get to BS with on here

steve

Hey Rem
[ QUOTE ]
I especially liked the test you did with the peoples own rifles to 300 yards... If you asked me, those guys were pretty **** poor shots if they cant consistently hit at 300 yards with a bipod prone rest in the field..It was something like 5%. Obviously the guys werent from LRH, or the hit ratio woulda been much higher..They musta just been the average joe blow, shoot a couple times a year type guys. Even at 200 yards, the hit percentage was only like 66%, at 200 yards!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the targets looked like black bears!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I seen the article just have not had a chance to read it yet

CAM

Maybe so...

I didn't have very good luck on bears this year, but I know the reason is because of the downhill shots. Now they didn't state what kind of actual shootign was done, but I bet its safe to say it was done on level ground...

When I got back from bear hunting, I smacked my 10" gong at 400 yards 3 for 3 with the ol 7 RM. So its obviously on at level ground, I just need some more practice at uphill/downhill. Since I live in the desert, 95% of my shots are flat..Also, I usually get a bit of adrenaline rush when I see a bear, which I know doesn't help one bit.

You gimme a milk jug at 300 yards, I'll pop it 9 of 10 times with any rifle I own right now, laying prone w/bipod, I'll bet anything on that..

Rem
Just jokeing with Ya because I know you can take it!
I've missed some pretty easy targets over the years myself!
In the long run it will make you a better hunter.

I'll bet 95% of them thought is was a piece of cake, untill the target was brought back!!

PS that was nice shootin on the Badger
CAM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Seems writing about long range is becoming more acceptable in the mags. I think the editors did a nice job with that story. Bottom line for me - I shoot long because I can. Simple as that.

Just got confirmation from a big publisher regarding a book on this subject, going to be an interesting project.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.