Put the wolves in your sites montanans!

We should car pool so we have an out for the Greenies.

How many Tac-Rigs can we fit in a Prius trunk?

Folding stocks for everyone!

That's a good one!! :D

Hopefully this issue is starting to get taken care of and done so before it's too late! I've ranted before many times here about this wolf situation and it's great to see these governors standing up finally.

I don't know...I'm guessing since WY has never been on board with the whole fed management thing, that their governor feels similarly to the MT gov and is directed his FG folks similarly, correct? Sure be nice to see OR and WA follow suit.

Last I heard in WA the state was moving forward with a plan to have 15 packs in the state. What hogwash! Same number of pack as ID and MT plans called for in a state with a fraction of MT and ID elk herds and habitat! There's some logical reasoning there...

Let's keep the momentum rolling. Call, write and email your state and congressional reps. I wrote Sen. Patty Murray the other day and got a staffer reply back about how she appreciated my letter and supported wolves and them under ESA protection, etc. The jist was it was very clear no one had read my letter clearly and thought I has writing in support of wolves under ESA protection!! I couldn't believe it. I sat down and pounded out another letter leaving very little to be guessed at that hopefully will meet it's mark.

It is now so easy to email your congressional, state and local reps using the NRA site or Big Game Forever's site. Please do so! Just click below.

NRA: http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/ and click on congress, state, local to get the folks you want.

Big Game Forever: http://capwiz.com/biggameforever/home/

Tell 'em what you think, but do some research first.

Jon

Last edited:
Its our civic duty to help a rancher and gun)-wolf. We better make short order of it too because it will probably change in a week when governors email is full from all the greenies crying wolf!gun)-prius

Is a non-resident license needed or is this action only for MT residents?
Seriously, because I'm only a days drive from Montana.

This is not an open season on wolves and Schweitzer is backing off a little.

The vaugue policy is that the "state" will kill wolves that are preying on livestock and depradating elk populations. They are also encouragign ranchers to shoot wolves that are killing livestock. And the state will not investigate any wolf kills North I-90.... but the Feds will.

and exerpt from an aricticle...

The governor also encouraged ranchers in northern Montana to shoot wolves that harass their livestock — currently prohibited north of Interstate 90 — and said state game wardens would no longer investigate wolf killings in that part of the state.

"It sends the wrong signal to would-be wolf poachers that they could say they are protecting livestock and eliminating wolves," said Michael Leahy with Defenders of Wildlife.

Wolf poaching laws still will be enforceable by federal wildlife agents.

Despite MT gov's claims, no big wolf kills planned  | ajc.com

Couple books that may interest those wanting to learn about wolves. Both by Jim Rearden. One is Alaska's Wolf Man and the other The Wolves of Alaska. These both give you insights into behavior. I think after reading you will realize what a formidible task it will be to keep them under control. Aerial gunning is the only way Alaska has been able to keep them under control as well as Russia. The Wolves of Russia is also worth reading but more statistics than an enjoyable read. My personal observation is that a couple guys can have some success in a small area with a pack or two but it will take several people working at it to make much difference in a large area. The prey base was large to begin with and the pack areas were smaller. They will get larger as the prey base dwindles. This will make it harder to find them. A good rifle with 700-1000 yds capability is a must. Just my observation.

lol, it's not legal to shoot them still, the state just may or may not look the other way. just go there on a big coyote hunt.

Couple books that may interest those wanting to learn about wolves. Both by Jim Rearden. One is Alaska's Wolf Man and the other The Wolves of Alaska. These both give you insights into behavior. I think after reading you will realize what a formidible task it will be to keep them under control. Aerial gunning is the only way Alaska has been able to keep them under control as well as Russia. The Wolves of Russia is also worth reading but more statistics than an enjoyable read. My personal observation is that a couple guys can have some success in a small area with a pack or two but it will take several people working at it to make much difference in a large area. The prey base was large to begin with and the pack areas were smaller. They will get larger as the prey base dwindles. This will make it harder to find them. A good rifle with 700-1000 yds capability is a must. Just my observation.

I would second reading 'Alaska's Wolf Man'. Besides just being a good read that most any hunter and outdoorsman should enjoy, it is an education on wolf behavior from someone who got to know them quite well.

Hunter that are on the sidelines on this one need to get off the sideline and get in the game,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.