Put a recipe here

Shanks Montana

Shanks Montana
This is my version inspired by one of my game cookbooks. Do it bone in or out. I prefer off bone with 2 bones in the pot for flavor. It is best served over wild rice or mashed potatoes with good crusty bread. I like it with roasted vegetables or green beans on the side. Pair with an Oktoberfest beer or spicy red wine and you are in for a treat.

2-4 Venison Shanks (depending on the size of the animal and/or pot capacity)
1 large Onion, chopped
1 8oz can Tomato Sauce
1 cup Water
½ cup Sherry Cooking Wine
¼ cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Bacon Drippings or oil
1 Tbsp Beef Bouillon paste or 2 cubes
1 sprig fresh Rosemary or ½ tsp dried
1 sprig fresh Thyme or ½ tsp dried
Flour
Salt and Pepper

Wash and pat dry shanks. Remove excess silver skin. Heat up bacon drippings in a large cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Season meat with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour. Lightly brown the shanks. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over browned shanks. Add water, if required, to cover the shanks. Simmer the meat, tightly covered for 2 ½ hours or until they are tender. Remove meat and reduce sauce to taste. Return the meat to the sauce and serve warm.

Enjoy,
Matt

hello,here is potroast recipe:3-4lb. game or beef roast. spread 2cans of Cambelle's onion soup all over roast o heavy duty foil. Springle pepper, 2 pks. of onion soup mix all over.Add fresh garlic or powdered.wrap secure so liguid will not escape.put in pan& oven for 2.5-3hrs. serve over toast or plain. Unbelievablely good!! Can add beacon strips to game!! Dskiperlightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.