Pushing the weight limits...

I recently bought a MAJOR upgrade to my previous 300wm. Had a T/C Venture, sold it and bought an amazing package to replace it.
Rem 700 Sendero Action, Blueprinted
McGowen #10 SS 26" with the Turbo Brake, 1-10", 400 shots fired
Oryx Aluminum Chassis
Timney Elite trigger
Redding Neck Sizing Die Set plus 100pcs Gunwerks brass fire-fit to this barrel.
13lbs 2.25oz with an empty mag, 13lb 8oz with 5 in

I was wanting a lighter setup, but I couldn't pass this up for the asking price... $1,300.... the trouble I'm in now (not with the wife!) is that I still need to add optics and a bipod.
Funds are limited, so the high end optics are out of reach for now.
I rarely shoot beyond 800, and would like to keep below the $800 mark on glass if possible. I know it's a sin to this rifle, but it's temporary.
I was thinking about one of the Nikon FX1000 IL 4-16x50 FFP, which weighs in at 23.3oz. I read many good things about this scope, and the price seems very fair.
For the bipod, probably a Magpul M-Lok, at 11oz.
These two keep me in budget and under the 16lb legal max, but wanted to get feedback to see if there may be better options in my situation.
Thanks!
I would do a Vortex PST 5-25 gen 2. I bought the FFP version brand new for $700. SFP should be easy to find for $800 or less. Even easier to find a 3-15...

djfergus mentioned the sightron siii. My experience with this scope has been pretty good other than just a little heavier than this old man would like. But it doesn't sound like the weight would be an issue for you. Good luck with your decision, shoot safe and have fun.

If my math is correct, you have about 2.5 lbs to work with for your scope and bipod, as the rifle is now. Not sure how attached you are to having a chassis hunting rifle and I don't know the wt of your chassis, but I understand they are significantly heavier than most conventional stocks. You can sell the chassis and get a solid stock for your rifle and probably cut some wt. that may open up your options for a scope and bipod. Just another option I hadn't seen yet

mwkelso, I'm not as experienced as most on here but take a look at Athlon. I have a Midas TAC in 6-24x50 FFP on a 7mag that I got on sale at Scheels for about $450. Buddy has several "big guys" including Schmidt&Benders and liked mine enough to buy one too. I have been very happy with mine and if you shop around a bit you can get a lot of scope for the $

I've been very happy with my Nikon scopes. Even ones much cheaper than that. I wouldn't be scared to put it on especially being a temp deal.
The turrets could be better but mine have all tracked well. Granted I'm not turning those all the time like my target ones but they have never failed me for my range time and hunting with them.
Also like your choice of bipod. I'm running all magpul bipods now except on my heavy long range rigs.

If my math is correct, you have about 2.5 lbs to work with for your scope and bipod, as the rifle is now. Not sure how attached you are to having a chassis hunting rifle and I don't know the wt of your chassis, but I understand they are significantly heavier than most conventional stocks. You can sell the chassis and get a solid stock for your rifle and probably cut some wt. that may open up your options for a scope and bipod. Just another option I hadn't seen yet
I had not thought about this option. I do like having the vertical grip over a traditional stock, but I'm sure there are stocks that would serve the same purpose without the weight. I'll check in to this, thanks

mwkelso, I'm not as experienced as most on here but take a look at Athlon. I have a Midas TAC in 6-24x50 FFP on a 7mag that I got on sale at Scheels for about $450. Buddy has several "big guys" including Schmidt&Benders and liked mine enough to buy one too. I have been very happy with mine and if you shop around a bit you can get a lot of scope for the $
Athlon has come to mind a couple times for me. How do the turrets feel on yours when dialing? Are they pretty crisp?

Like I said I'm not the most experienced but yes. It goes where I want it and clicks are Audible and easy for me to feel each one. Like everybody else in the market they have lots of options as far as reticle, knobs, IR no IR, mil vs moa, etc. but its a solid scope in my opinion. I believe the Midas is kinda the middle of the road for them. Full disclosure my buddy attended one of the more reputable LR schools about a yr ago taught by a former sniper. This was a topic of discussion there and that instructor had high praise for these. I was the "geunni pig" as obviously I'm not in the same tax bracket as many on here lol so I try to buy best I can afford. So for what it's worth it's worked out well for me so far.

I recently bought a MAJOR upgrade to my previous 300wm. Had a T/C Venture, sold it and bought an amazing package to replace it.
Rem 700 Sendero Action, Blueprinted
McGowen #10 SS 26" with the Turbo Brake, 1-10", 400 shots fired
Oryx Aluminum Chassis
Timney Elite trigger
Redding Neck Sizing Die Set plus 100pcs Gunwerks brass fire-fit to this barrel.
13lbs 2.25oz with an empty mag, 13lb 8oz with 5 in

I was wanting a lighter setup, but I couldn't pass this up for the asking price... $1,300.... the trouble I'm in now (not with the wife!) is that I still need to add optics and a bipod.
Funds are limited, so the high end optics are out of reach for now.
I rarely shoot beyond 800, and would like to keep below the $800 mark on glass if possible. I know it's a sin to this rifle, but it's temporary.
I was thinking about one of the Nikon FX1000 IL 4-16x50 FFP, which weighs in at 23.3oz. I read many good things about this scope, and the price seems very fair.
For the bipod, probably a Magpul M-Lok, at 11oz.
These two keep me in budget and under the 16lb legal max, but wanted to get feedback to see if there may be better options in my situation.
Thanks!
Nikon is now out of the rifle scope business.

Like I said I'm not the most experienced but yes. It goes where I want it and clicks are Audible and easy for me to feel each one. Like everybody else in the market they have lots of options as far as reticle, knobs, IR no IR, mil vs moa, etc. but its a solid scope in my opinion. I believe the Midas is kinda the middle of the road for them. Full disclosure my buddy attended one of the more reputable LR schools about a yr ago taught by a former sniper. This was a topic of discussion there and that instructor had high praise for these. I was the "geunni pig" as obviously I'm not in the same tax bracket as many on here lol so I try to buy best I can afford. So for what it's worth it's worked out well for me so far.
I'm in the same boat! 😂 I'll look closer in to these. As I research the Nikon more I am steering myself away. It does seem like a decent optic, but I do really like the audible clicks that are crisp and leaves no room for guessing how far I turned.
Have you had any interaction with their customer service?

I'm in the same boat! 😂 I'll look closer in to these. As I research the Nikon more I am steering myself away. It does seem like a decent optic, but I do really like the audible clicks that are crisp and leaves no room for guessing how far I turned.
Have you had any interaction with their customer service?

Athlon no. I haven't had the need so not much help on that one, sorry. They do have much the same lifetime warranty as everyone else though. As far as Nikon goes I had to send one back in Jan right after they announced they were getting out of the scope business. They made my issue right so kudos on that and I like the scope but won't buy another for that reason. That's why all Nikons are dirt cheap right now. Everyone wants them off their inventory to be done with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.