Pushing 300SMK to 1784 yards

300rum

Hi,

Here are some reviews about shooting at 1784yards.

We used 338Edge rifle, 30in barel pushing 300SMK at 2836fps.
Condition:
Temp - 100F
Wind: 3mph from 3 o'clock (at shooter location)
Wind: between 8-10mph gusty over the valley below us
30% humidity, 850 Pressure.
Very Sunny day, and very hot.
The mirraje was bad (using just 14x) on my NSX 8-32rifle

We dial 61MOA elevation, and for beginning just 2 moa right for windage (the wind was preatty calm)

First shot we did not spotted at all, and second was almost touching the target (8in high target)

chambered another one, and the wind starting messing with us.
From the time we pressed the trigger the wind was up 2-3 mph and we miss due to miss sincronisation.

We switch behind the trigger and my partner put one on the target (wind was constant)
second and third was off due to 1mph wind changes over the valley.

we put more rounds down the tube, but we ware unable to connect with the target.
So here is the video of the shooting.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/300rum2007/?action=view&current=1784yrds-338edge.mp4

LESSON LEARNED! 1mph wind deviation and we will be off 0.75MOA at 1784yrds.

But over all was a fun shooting day, and we enjoyed.
At the end we pulled out 7mmRM, pusshing 168VLD and we wore shooting rocks at 950yrd.
That was alot of fun. We connect with the rocks all the time, and we can say.. was preatty borring shooting at 950yrds instead of 1784
So 2nd lesson...
Trained hard at longer distance and will be peace of cake at shorter distance.

I hope this review will help other streching wayyyyyy out there.

We well come back in 2-3 weeks to repeat or improve our performance at that distance.

Last edited:
Yes! the wind is preatty hard to predict down the range, without the wind flags, and just using the mirrage, and grass, or tree branches movement as reference points.
just slightly error of 2 Mph and you are out 1.75MOA, or 34.5in off the target.
we got our challenge, to beat the wind at 1786yrd, but after that , shooting at 950 yards was really soooo easssy.

Very nice CJ!! Good to see you're getting out.
Long time ... long time my friend.
Yes, I'm working sooo hard, and from time to time i just close the shop and get out for a day shooting.
I already kill all the rocks, and this 388 EDge is really a shooter if I do my part.
Now I'm more focused on FIRST SHOT, COLD BORE SHOT at really extreme distances, to train myself for the upcomming hunting season.
in 2 weeks I want to head out in August 14 or 15, so if you are ok on that time, you are more then welcome.
We can bust some rocks.

Long time ... long time my friend.
Yes, I'm working sooo hard, and from time to time i just close the shop and get out for a day shooting.
I already kill all the rocks, and this 388 EDge is really a shooter if I do my part.
Now I'm more focused on FIRST SHOT, COLD BORE SHOT at really extreme distances, to train myself for the upcomming hunting season.
in 2 weeks I want to head out in August 14 or 15, so if you are ok on that time, you are more then welcome.
We can bust some rocks.

**** it, **** it, **** it! We will be on vacation then. But let's keep in touch, if there's another chance down the road & I can make it, I'll be there.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.