Pushing the weight limits...

mwkelso

I recently bought a MAJOR upgrade to my previous 300wm. Had a T/C Venture, sold it and bought an amazing package to replace it.
Rem 700 Sendero Action, Blueprinted
McGowen #10 SS 26" with the Turbo Brake, 1-10", 400 shots fired
Oryx Aluminum Chassis
Timney Elite trigger
Redding Neck Sizing Die Set plus 100pcs Gunwerks brass fire-fit to this barrel.
13lbs 2.25oz with an empty mag, 13lb 8oz with 5 in

I was wanting a lighter setup, but I couldn't pass this up for the asking price... $1,300.... the trouble I'm in now (not with the wife!) is that I still need to add optics and a bipod.
Funds are limited, so the high end optics are out of reach for now.
I rarely shoot beyond 800, and would like to keep below the $800 mark on glass if possible. I know it's a sin to this rifle, but it's temporary.
I was thinking about one of the Nikon FX1000 IL 4-16x50 FFP, which weighs in at 23.3oz. I read many good things about this scope, and the price seems very fair.
For the bipod, probably a Magpul M-Lok, at 11oz.
These two keep me in budget and under the 16lb legal max, but wanted to get feedback to see if there may be better options in my situation.
Thanks!

I recently bought a MAJOR upgrade to my previous 300wm. Had a T/C Venture, sold it and bought an amazing package to replace it.
Oryx Aluminum Chassis
Timney Elite trigger

I was wanting a lighter setup, but I couldn't pass this up for the asking price... $1,300.... the trouble I'm in now (not with the wife!) is that I still need to add optics and a bipod.
I rarely shoot beyond 800, and would like to keep below the $800 mark on glass if possible. I know it's a sin to this rifle, but it's temporary.
I was thinking about one of the Nikon FX1000 IL 4-16x50 FFP, which weighs in at 23.3oz. I read many good things about this scope, and the price seems very fair.
These two keep me in budget and under the 16lb legal max, but wanted to get feedback to see if there may be better options in my situation.
Thanks!
I looked through some of the Nikon FX scopes and I think it'd be one of my last choices for a Precision rifle.
It has terrible glass, tunnelled badly, and the eye box was super finicky, turrets felt really cheap too I'd be shocked if it tracks.
I'd check out a vortex in that price range, you can find deals on a pst, or a razor LHT

What's your purpose with the rifle? You mentioned 800 yards. But targets only? Hunting? Hike far? Or out to a blind?
Mainly hunting, but targets for sure in the off season.
Usually I don't hike in too far. But in the occasion that I do, it's nothing more than a couple miles at most. Most is pretty accessible where I'm at.

The Optika 6 looks like a good choice. SWFA super sniper in 10x is always a good choice or an SWFA 3-15. You might find a Sightron Siii on sale for $800 and you would never need to upgrade that (that's what I have on my 300wm in 6-24).
Good to know, thank you!

So....just my thoughts , but I think your well past counting ounces. It's a beast of a rifle, embrace the weight, it'll be super easy to shoot. Top priority for myself would be rock solid reliable dialing. And the most bang for the buck is the swfa 10 x or 3-15 . Just not swfas ultralight...

So....just my thoughts , but I think your well past counting ounces. It's a beast of a rifle, embrace the weight, it'll be super easy to shoot. Top priority for myself would be rock solid reliable dialing. And the most bang for the buck is the swfa 10 x or 3-15 . Just not swfas ultralight...
I agree. The weight doesn't at all for the sake of packing. The reason I say 16lb is because of our state's legal weight. I've never been asked to check, but don't want to push my luck either.
Consistent tracking is definitely important. SWFA seems to be one of the brands that isn't mentioned too often, at least where I read. I'll definitely check them out. Thank you

Vx5 HD 3-15x44. Could be right around your budget if you find a deal. I have 3 of them and they all work flawlessly. I've taken a 7wsm to 1360 yards with one. And a 30-06 to 950 with one. Killed hundreds of deer looking through the vx5 and Vx6 hd. Great scopes.... I believe the 3-15x44 vx5 is 19 ounces.

Last edited:
Oryx Aluminum Chassis
Timney Elite trigger

Thanks!
I've got two FX1000 6-24x50. One has better glass than the other. I had a 4-16x50 x1000. All three tracked and repeated well. I have a vortex intrepid 4.5-22x50. it weighs 22 ounces. It's glass beats the Nikon's and the PST g2 vipers. A sightron siii would be hard to beat for tracking and glass in it's price range. As far as the fx1000, I have no complaints, if you wait & shop around, you can pick up a new 6-24x50 for around $500-$600. The glass is ok, I don't think you will find any better in that price range but Nikon is getting out of the scope business so it might not be beneficial to go that route.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.