Pulled Button Rifling

Weaver93
I had the opportunity to tour the MPA facility and review the "Spencer" barrel process from start to finish along with spending time with top machinist watching barrels being chambered. Also the CNC process from a solid block of aluminum to a finished cerakoted Chassis. MPA has highest quality materials and QC second to none. Jill and I have been using MPA products for years. I didn't want to seem Bias in previous Posts because of the close relationship we have with Phil the owner of MPA. If you get a chance to get any MPA product please do so. You will be impressed!!!
Len & Jill
Dealt with them a couple times....really good people! Woody is a cool dude!

I also have a variety of barrels lija,bartlein, criterion and I give the edge to bartlein as far as accuracy in my experience but that is what I see in the calibers I shoot now. I am not saying that bartlein is the best but if you don't have one you may not want to shoot against me.

Weaver93
I had the opportunity to tour the MPA facility and review the "Spencer" barrel process from start to finish along with spending time with top machinist watching barrels being chambered. Also the CNC process from a solid block of aluminum to a finished cerakoted Chassis. MPA has highest quality materials and QC second to none. Jill and I have been using MPA products for years. I didn't want to seem Bias in previous Posts because of the close relationship we have with Phil the owner of MPA. If you get a chance to get any MPA product please do so. You will be impressed!!!
Len & Jill
Have you ever met clay and chatted for while

you get a chance to get any MPA product please do so. You will be impressed!!!
Len & Jill
2022-2023,I had to wait 11 months to get an Origin medium length action , right hand bolt chassis. In the meantime, I've gotten four MDT's …I can't tell the difference between them. The only reason why I went with them was because they do the medium action length and MDT did not at the time, but are scheduled to do so fourth quarter 2023.

I have shot the mpa and others but I didn't see how the owner of the mpa was going to do anything I couldn't do with what I bought to the game.Just because one of us like something different than another member doesn't mean one of us is wrong it just means we don't all drive a ford and we like to pick each other's brains as we try pick our way to a good product that works for us the individual

I have shot the mpa and others but I didn't see how the owner of the mpa was going to do anything I couldn't do with what I bought to the game.Just because one of us like something different than another member doesn't mean one of us is wrong it just means we don't all drive a ford and we like to pick each other's brains as we try pick our way to a good product that works for us the individual
Blueprainiedog
WOW what a statement. Good luck my friend on whatever you do! Wil defiantly put you on the List!

I've got several Bartleins, a couple of Kriegers, Mullerworks, Lilja, and a bunch of Criterions. To be honest, the Criterions probably consistently shoot the best. They're also the cheapest and I can install them in about 20 minutes since they're on my savage and Bighorn actions with barrel nuts.

They talk about it here

I own a SS Lilja barrel that Kirby Allen ordered as a 10-twist. Chambered in 300 Win Mag.

When I couldn't get some heavyweight custom bullets to shoot, and I told the bullet manufacturer I had a 10-twist barrel, the manufacturer suggested I measure my twist rate. Because 10-twist was the minimum spec'd for bullet stabilization.

So I did, and I learned my 10-twist Lilja was actually a 10.5-twist, based on half a dozen or more twist rate measurements. All my measurements were very similar. The average of my multiple measurements was ~10.55

I contacted Kirby. He checked his paperwork for my barrel order and confirmed he had ordered a 10-twist and that Lilja's invoice showed 10-twist. Would have been nice if Lilja had confirmed the actual twist rate before shipping it to Kirby. Instead, I learned after a couple years use that my 10-twist was actually 10.5

Anyone wants to buy a 10.5 twist button-rifled 25.5" SS Lilja barrel chambered in 300 Win Mag, send me a PM. It's a #3 contour, as I recall. Probably got around 400 rounds fired. I haven't used this barrel for ~8 years. Kirby built the rifle for me. Breech is threaded and mounted on a Lawton 7000 action. I think the same action thread size as Rem 700s. So could likely be mounted on a Rem 700 action. Muzzle is threaded 9/16" - 28tpi and sports a SS Muscle Brake. It shot pretty well. Better than 1/2 moa. Barrel is still mounted to the Lawton 7000 action.

I've moved on to cut rifled barrels.

Last edited:
They talk about it here
Sorry Mike, but I take many things said over on accurateshooter to be laced by prejudice, self entitlement and even EGO. Which is why I was banned, no loss to me.
Unless we're talking very antiquated machinery, pulled button rifling machines are pretty accurate on twist rates, even the buttons between twists are different…I guess someone could use a 8" twist button in a 9" twist barrel.

Cheers.

Vote, by meer opinion... I prefer CNC cut rifled barrels. Just seems like more control & less stress on the barrel. That doesn't mean the others are less accurate. But is the twist consistent as the button is either pushed or pulled...probably I not but to what degree. I remember Lilja looking at that delima many yrs ago to come up with a valid instrument to check. But then is slight inconsistent twist rate harmful to accuracy. Some gain twist shoot very accurate, and many prefer them, I do not own one. But for combat AR style shooting, I prefer hammer forged, machinegun steel, and crome lined or some tough barrel treatment...no fancy stainless...it's a tool that must preform over the long haul under severe conditions, used hard, even abused..accuracy is not at the top of the list.