Problems with scope mounting input needed!

Before you mount it on another gun.....find a level surface....put the rail alone on the surface....then put the level across the base. I had this problem with name brand pic. Cost me a ton of money and time to figure out!

I have seen this on at least 3 new rifles, each of a different brand. Occasionally it is a bad, (x3) new scope! One, (brand new), rifle was off 8' low & 20' to port. One used up ALL of the scope's adjustment to zero, (which is no good). Another could not be zeroed without shimming or using special (eccentric) rings. I didn't. (Rarely, but sometimes, you just hand it back to the owner & say, "Here - it's junk.")
This is why I don't get excited about one company having superior quality over another. I believe that sooner or later they ALL make an oops! I special ordered a new lever action rifle once that came in with the wrong caliber magazine tube & follower. Ever try to load a .45-70 round into a .30-30 tube? Just my experience...
I have mounted many scope on my guns and for others in my 61 years but I have one giving me problems. I have Leuplod 3i 5x25 (new scope going on a Remington 700 also new) the base ( Picatinny) i used are new along with the rings. After mounting for the 3rd time with the same result. The guns shoots on up and down but; left to right it shoots 24" to the left and each time I recounted it I get the same thing, I ran out of adjustment before I can get it close. Even if I did get close to being on I would be looking thur the side of the scope. I have never ran into this while using Picatinny rail. Both rings and rail are name brands I have on many of my other guns. I welcome any insight on this and I'm I missing something?
Thanks in advance!

Before you mount it on another gun.....find a level surface....put the rail alone on the surface....then put the level across the base. I had this problem with name brand pic. Cost me a ton of money and time to figure out!
as long as the reticle is mounted plum to gravity that doesn't matter

as long as the reticle is mounted plum to gravity that doesn't matter
Your reticle can be plum for elevation but you're working off of a canted scope for windage....windage as you elevate or decrease travels up and out and down and out to opposing sides of the cant.....certainly was my experience. Canted base was replaced...problem was solved!

In today's world of computer automation I wouldn't be looking at the mounting holes being off center, although anything is possible with the quality of hired help these days, I would suspect the rings or base being the problem before the receiver, with it being that far off, something should be noticeable to the eye, either the receiver or the rings and base, I've seen nearly all manufacturers of scopes faulty out of the box, and that would include swavorski, at this point the first thing id check if it were I, I'd first turn the rings 180 degrees to see what if affect that had, if the screw holes are off on the base a set off calipers should give you a idea if everything is on center, next I'd check the angles of the dovetails on the scope base, or if you have one throw another scope on and check for travel, it does need to be a high-end scope to check this,

I've seen the holes mis-aligned on older Remingtons but not in a long time. It was always my understanding that the real reason the military originally changed screw size from 6-48 to 8-40 was so they could correct the issue not because they actually required a heavier screw for strength. Maybe an old wives tale but that's what I was told years ago from another old smith as to the real reason to change.

I have mounted many scope on my guns and for others in my 61 years but I have one giving me problems. I have Leuplod 3i 5x25 (new scope going on a Remington 700 also new) the base ( Picatinny) i used are new along with the rings. After mounting for the 3rd time with the same result. The guns shoots on up and down but; left to right it shoots 24" to the left and each time I recounted it I get the same thing, I ran out of adjustment before I can get it close. Even if I did get close to being on I would be looking thur the side of the scope. I have never ran into this while using Picatinny rail. Both rings and rail are name brands I have on many of my other guns. I welcome any insight on this and I'm I missing something?
Thanks in advance!
Look at the Leupold Std's that way you can adjust for the windage error in the base if that's the problem. Good luck, Cheers.

1646422637894.png

Thanks in advance!
Run your windage clicks all the way to the right, then count back to the left until the clicks stop, divide by two, and tell us what you get. Just trying to cover all the possibilities.

Recent Posts