Problems with magneto speed

Look into wiser precision. They have a remote kit to mount the magnetospeed so it doesn't touch your barrel.

If I had known this I would probably still be using the magneto Speed. Mine functioned perfectly, but I got tired of wasting test loads. My POI and groups were thrown off badly with it was attached to the barrel. I had to shoot for groups then reshoot for velocity. I have paid for the labradar by not having to double up. Also saved barrel life.

If the wiser precision helps keep the poi and group sizes same as without The MS attached to barrel, then it makes it a great unit.

If I had known this I would probably still be using the magneto Speed. Mine functioned perfectly, but I got tired of wasting test loads. My POI and groups were thrown off badly with it was attached to the barrel. I had to shoot for groups then reshoot for velocity. I have paid for the labradar by not having to double up. Also saved barrel life.

If the wiser precision helps keep the poi and group sizes same as without The MS attached to barrel, then it makes it a great unit.

Just looked at it on their site. That Wiser Precision device seems to work only with a Picatinny rail so not helpful for wood and composite stocks

I have seen this before and once personally when I tried the shoot an arrow through sky screens. fortunately Ohler replaced it at no charge and even updated the screens. I have seen a few Magneto Speeds with bayonet damage on the tip from setting up on a fast tapered barrel that angled the Bayonet upwards. It cleared the back but didn't clear the front. This is the reason I like to use the cleaning rod through the bore that shows the relationship between the bore and the bayonet.

This also could be the cause for any error in velocity. I have had mine a long time and have not had any problems with anything. when checked using the Ohler 35 p it is spot on. so the setup is important for consistency and longevity.

Sometimes I use a paper shim in the front of the attachment to make the bayonet level with the bore. Have been thinking about tapering one of the inserts to compensate for the taper.

J E CUSTOM

Is there a million dollar answer here......how close does magneto need to be to the barrel, bullet......could it be mounted separately....say mounted on a platform in front of the barrel on the shooting deck or such....

I had an issue once and emailed "[email protected]". The next day I received a reply from a fellow named Ryan Hey. After swapping a couple emails explaining my problem, he issued me a return authorization number. I did have to pay the postage to return it, but a couple weeks later I had the repaired unit back in my hands, at no additional cost. Didn't really get an explanation as to what was wrong, but it was obvious they gave me a new bayonet. No customer service issues as far as my experience is concerned...

Is there a million dollar answer here......how close does magneto need to be to the barrel, bullet......could it be mounted separately....say mounted on a platform in front of the barrel on the shooting deck or such....

I like to set it 1/8th to 3/16 because it makes it more consistent. The distance can be greater, but it's harder to judge the gap to the cleaning rod for parallel.

If you mount it anywhere but on the barrel, it would defeat the advantage of being able to move from target to target without another setup. and would be susceptible to bullet strikes like the sky screen type.

I have tested also with muzzle brakes and have seen no problems with gasses from the brake effecting the velocity numbers.

There is a mounting system that attaches to the stock, but it increases the distance from the bore to the bayonet and makes it harder in my opinion to get a good even spacing. also It could allow a light weight barrel to move enough to have a bullet strike if it was not attached.

J E CUSTOM

Dont the bullet manufacturers give you the ballistic coefficient for the bullets you load? How does this Chrono add to that?

Info on the box is a mere standard from the companies testing. In other words its a generalized suggestion.

If you know that you need a chronograph, then I can skip all the reasons different barrels and set ups make up different fps in MV. However since that is common knowledge, depending on what drag model you use, the difference in your MV and bullet flight will have whatever drag its going to to have on the bullet.

In other words, if you have a cartridge a using a g7 drag model with a projectile advertised for .321 bc at x fps...and come to find out you have a 2 inch longer barrel than the companies testing standards...you will have a slightly bigger bc then what you thought....and your input into your ballistic solver or phone app etc will not be perfectly aligned more than likely. Especially at further distances.

Your data will be close..but not spot on...sound familiar..? its what every noobie says on here when talking about ballistic apps.

The bc changes over the course of flight...the other gentleman you mentioned that the radar will show more bc data at distances is correct and that is what he is referring to. although a caveat to that is the labradar works alright for bc analysis at closer ranges...not so much for ranges that matter, which is a subjective statement ill admit. However its a personal choice to figure out data truing at close to far or far to close.

Info on the box is a mere standard from the companies testing. In other words its a generalized suggestion.

If you know that you need a chronograph, then I can skip all the reasons different barrels and set ups make up different fps in MV. However since that is common knowledge, depending on what drag model you use, the difference in your MV and bullet flight will have whatever drag its going to to have on the bullet.

In other words, if you have a cartridge a using a g7 drag model with a projectile advertised for .321 bc at x fps...and come to find out you have a 2 inch longer barrel than the companies testing standards...you will have a slightly bigger bc then what you thought....and your input into your ballistic solver or phone app etc will not be perfectly aligned more than likely. Especially at further distances.

Your data will be close..but not spot on...sound familiar..? its what every noobie says on here when talking about ballistic apps.

The bc changes over the course of flight...the other gentleman you mentioned that the radar will show more bc data at distances is correct and that is what he is referring to. although a caveat to that is the labradar works alright for bc analysis at closer ranges...not so much for ranges that matter, which is a subjective statement ill admit. However its a personal choice to figure out data truing at close to far or far to close.

I appreciate your attempt to educate me. You are covering a lot of ground here in a superficial way. Where would you suggest I go to read more about this in greater detail?
From what I've read the Labradar gives info for 100 yds- is that sufficient to get better ballistic info than bullet companies who have much higher end Doppler equipment? If so, how and why is it better?
As you said I'm a noobie. I want to chrono my hand loads for consistency at this point. I'm hoping to be able to comfortably take a 300 to 500 yd shot hunting if I get the opportunity. Taking game further than that isn't likely. So how would I use this extra data? Thanks again for your responses.

I appreciate your attempt to educate me. You are covering a lot of ground here in a superficial way. Where would you suggest I go to read more about this in greater detail?
From what I've read the Labradar gives info for 100 yds- is that sufficient to get better ballistic info than bullet companies who have much higher end Doppler equipment? If so, how and why is it better?
As you said I'm a noobie. I want to chrono my hand loads for consistency at this point. I'm hoping to be able to comfortably take a 300 to 500 yd shot hunting if I get the opportunity. Taking game further than that isn't likely. So how would I use this extra data? Thanks again for your responses.

Probably the book applied ballistics. That would be a good start.

I think you do grasp the limitations of the labradar, which was kind of the point i was trying to make with companies using doppler... my warning is simply the companies providing doppler information is partial to their testing set up, not for YOUR GUN and load setup. That might be where a labradar would be useful. So small deviations in your dope will exist until you true your data, usually the bc will be the thing giving weird results at the further distances keeping data from aligning. The real world data usually have to get trued out to match bullet drop out to whatever range one is trying to get to. I find it easier from there, once that data is established to make other charts for different DA's and temps.

My bad, I never said you were a noobie....I legit meant when guys come on here and say "hey im new to long range shooting and i put my data into a app i bought for my phone and im still having trouble hitting a 10 inch plate at 1200y" type people. It's because they never learned how to put the actual work into dope....or just not invested into the art of it or lastly they just haven't learned yet the real world factors the need to be worked out. So I don't think that bit applies to you in any case in light of the rest of your response to reloading.

There are better guys on here for the handload questions than me...I reload plenty but...i can't talk as comfortably on it as some of the other dudes here.

However a chrono of a type is perfectly find for that...if you are looking for sd and es's though i consider the fact that since the bayonet changes the harmonics of the rifle barrel, those es and sd numbers can be less than accurate. if just for easy MV exploration then magneto is probably a great option in my opinion.

The extra data that you would get with labradar...I dont think is necessary personally, however i only chrono'd my loads for sd's and initially to see i reached my target mv on a work up. the rest was a series of different test including the ol latter test before making a series of loads...until the powder manufacturer changes lot numbers or something and i have to start all over again.

Which again i mention, im probably not the one to ask about reloading. Some guys on here have a really detailed process, and have helped me in the past with some stuff.

Probably the book applied ballistics. That would be a good start.

I think you do grasp the limitations of the labradar, which was kind of the point i was trying to make with companies using doppler... my warning is simply the companies providing doppler information is partial to their testing set up, not for YOUR GUN and load setup. That might be where a labradar would be useful. So small deviations in your dope will exist until you true your data, usually the bc will be the thing giving weird results at the further distances keeping data from aligning. The real world data usually have to get trued out to match bullet drop out to whatever range one is trying to get to. I find it easier from there, once that data is established to make other charts for different DA's and temps.

My bad, I never said you were a noobie....I legit meant when guys come on here and say "hey im new to long range shooting and i put my data into a app i bought for my phone and im still having trouble hitting a 10 inch plate at 1200y" type people. It's because they never learned how to put the actual work into dope....or just not invested into the art of it or lastly they just haven't learned yet the real world factors the need to be worked out. So I don't think that bit applies to you in any case in light of the rest of your response to reloading.

There are better guys on here for the handload questions than me...I reload plenty but...i can't talk as comfortably on it as some of the other dudes here.

However a chrono of a type is perfectly find for that...if you are looking for sd and es's though i consider the fact that since the bayonet changes the harmonics of the rifle barrel, those es and sd numbers can be less than accurate. if just for easy MV exploration then magneto is probably a great option in my opinion.

The extra data that you would get with labradar...I dont think is necessary personally, however i only chrono'd my loads for sd's and initially to see i reached my target mv on a work up. the rest was a series of different test including the ol latter test before making a series of loads...until the powder manufacturer changes lot numbers or something and i have to start all over again.

Which again i mention, im probably not the one to ask about reloading. Some guys on here have a really detailed process, and have helped me in the past with some stuff.

Its all good, I am a Noobie. Bought my first rifle just about a year ago and now have 8, and starting doing reloads in October. I am playing catch up but already know more about it than my friends that have been doing this for years, though they more casual shooter and hunters and are far from experts.

I got some instruction and did some long range shooting with a former swat sniper about 6 weeks ago and used a Magnetospeed to check my loads, which I was disappointed to learn were not as good as I had hoped or even as consistent as good store bought ammo. I liked the Magneto speed because i shoot at public ranges and it seemed easier to work in that scenario. The Labradar seemed similar in that regard. Ive gotten even more compulsive with my loads and will check them early in the New Year. I'm glad to hear that there are a lot of hand load experts on this site- If they arent where they should be , Ill be posting for help in that area next!

If anything I just posted impacts your thoughts, please feel free to continue my education!! Thanks again for taking the time to help me!!