Problems with Lawton actions?

Thanks for filling in the blanks for us. Hopefully they'll be able to pull it together.

Anatomy of a Failure

Lawton Machine from ordering through delivery and follow up with problems has been a disaster and a huge waste of time and money.
While searching for a gunsmith to replace my wacked out Lawton Bolt handle with a SSG style that was originally ordered for my tactical build. I spoke to two champion benchrest gunsmiths who canceled their Lawton action orders because of problems and a top tactical builder who dropped Lawton machine as a supplier too. They told me of more problems dealing with Lawton Machine than success stories.
I would not go back to a dentist who pulled the wrong tooth or a doctor who removed the wrong kidney. I did not go back to Lawton Machine to fix my rifle because they do not have the skill set to build one in the first place.
I shipped my rifle with a painted stock to a stock builder to get painted again to hide the tool marks on the metal and the felt tip black sharpie marker lines left on both sides of the barrel channel. He asked me if I if I knew what release is and was my first rifle bedding job. When I told him Lawton Machine built it, I heard in a loud voice "Houston we got a problem, this is the second worst bedding job that I have ever seen.
The bedding was redone, SSG Bolt handle installed, proper crown cut,head spacing properly set and a great paint job. Two years after my order was placed when I went to Zero, the factory ammo does not feed. Lawton Machine never ramped the great Lawton Action.
I plan to sell my unfired lemon Lawton rifle that does feed factory ammo.
My future plans include a Stiller or Surgeon Action.

Paul_P, you mentioned "I plan to sell my unfired lemon Lawton rifle that does feed factory ammo."

Do you plan on informing any potential buyer that it's a lemon and doesn't feed factory ammo?

Hi Chas,
I am going to list it as The Custom Lawton Lemon Rife that does not feed factory ammo, receiver just needs to be ramped to feed properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.