Problems with Jewell

cross

I just paid out the nose for a new Jewell HVR for my Sendero because the X-Mark was junk. In addition to the X-Mark being junk, the safety on the X-Mark will not work on any other trigger (I first bought a Shilen but had to sell it because I needed something with a safety) so I bit the bullet and paid for a Jewell. It showed up set for 1 lb (perfect) but was creepy.

I followed the instructions to adjust the trigger. Still creepy.

I played with the adjustments to the point where the striker wouldn't hold every time the bolt was closed. Still creepy.

The creep isn't horrible but it isn't completely consistent, which makes it hard to get used to and maybe my expectations are too high but when I pay $200 for a trigger I don't feel like I should have to put up with poor performance.

Should I call Jewell for advice or a new trigger?
Hose it out with lighter fluid or brake cleaner?
Send it back and by something else and if so, what would you buy?

Any advice?

I would call jewell. I have quite a few of those same triggers, they are all great. I've never heard of a bad one. I would ask their advice.

I second what SUNDEVIL said. Jewel triggers are awesome. I will only use Jewel triggers for my rifles. I would call them, I am sure they will help you out.

W.

This is not an uncommon problem on the Jewell. You did not even show all of the threads on this problem

I have a Jewell that has a kind of two stage creep with a rough spot right in the middle. The rough spot seems to be going away or else I have just gotten more used to it.

I don't really mind being as I grew up shooting sloppy triggers and then military triggers. I deliberately put slack in my Timmny being as I like slack. I don't like creep very much but I prefer a lot of slack.

I do not know what to tell you to do but I certainly know what you are talking about.

I would call for advice. I know for me it took me quite a bit of experimenting to find the right combination of adjustments to get it just right. This was mostly a reflection of my ignorance as to the effects of each individual adjustment and how to get them to work in concert properly.

Kepplinger trigger

I'm using a Kepplinger single set trigger on my Remington 700 It's set at 16 oz's and has improved my accuracy tremendously.

Brownells sells the safety and bolt release parts for a Rem trigger for about $30. Those parts on the Shilen work just like original 700 parts.
Timney now sells a 700 replacement trigger with safety included. That may be the best option for folks with the new Remingtons that have the new triggers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.