Primers

The only advice I can give the OP is to persevere. I picked up 1K CCI-250 primers at my local Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday for $31.99. The key is to be there when they open in the hope of them having received shipments the day before. I just had to choose between the CCI-250's for $31.99 and the CCI BR-4 small rifle bench rest primers for $42.99. Since I have been able to buy 3K Federal small rifle match primers over the past couple of months, I opted for the cheaper CCI-250's. I thought those Federal 205M were a real bargain at $27.99 per K. It helps that I am retired and the local Sportsman's Warehouse is less than 3 miles from my house. I have come home empty handed scores of days, but every so often, I score. It helps that they limit purchases to 1K of primers, 1 pound of powder and two boxes of factory ammo per person per day. For primers, you still need to be there early, as sometimes they only get 10 or 12 bricks in. I can see how it is very challenging for working people to get some. Guess you need to make friends with an old retired guy. ;)

Hey PTB I also need some large rifle primers I would be willing to trade for small rifle or if u want or I would sell them for 125.00 with free shipping.

Curious how hard everyone is finding primers to locate. Reason I ask is that I often see posts that tell readers when hard to find powders are available, but have rarely if ever seen posts telling where rifle primers are now available. Been looking for Winchester or CCI small rifle primers for quite a while. Are they just not available AT ALL, or hit and miss like RE 26, H1000, Retumbo ect. Anyway just curious. As always thx for taking time to give input.
My main supplier has been out of any and all primers for 3 weeks.

I know one thing. I'm done selling from my stock to unprepared buddy's. I have stock piled powder and primers for a long time. Since the primer shortage of Clinton era. Never again. I now regret selling what I did to the 3. One hit me up three times. Once for large pistol. Then small pistol. Then small rifle . 3rd time I said no !

Last edited:
So why can you find all the primers you want in Canada and a few other countries. Is it because of less demand and therefore it takes longer to deplete the stock? Or is there more to it than that?
You are right in what you say (at least for Canada) in that I can, as of this posting ,get most any primer I want and in quantity at decent prices. In fact I can get most powders I need Varget, H4895, H 1000 etc at decent prices (Canada). But I am aware of what is taking place in the US and have stocked up on all I need because when the supply dries up here I feel it will be a long dry run. The American companies will supply the US before foreign countries and most reloading components (at least that I use) are made in or distrubited by US companies.

Curious how hard everyone is finding primers to locate. Reason I ask is that I often see posts that tell readers when hard to find powders are available, but have rarely if ever seen posts telling where rifle primers are now available. Been looking for Winchester or CCI small rifle primers for quite a while. Are they just not available AT ALL, or hit and miss like RE 26, H1000, Retumbo ect. Anyway just curious. As always thx for taking time to give input.

Powdervalleyinc.com. has H1000. Better hurry and buy while they have it. John

You are right in what you say (at least for Canada) in that I can, as of this posting ,get most any primer I want and in quantity at decent prices. In fact I can get most powders I need Varget, H4895, H 1000 etc at decent prices (Canada). But I am aware of what is taking place in the US and have stocked up on all I need because when the supply dries up here I feel it will be a long dry run. The American companies will supply the US before foreign countries and most reloading components (at least that I use) are made in or distrubited by US companies.
Sure wish my colleagues in Canada should ship some to me!

Can't figure that out. They are made in USA, shipped to various countries but can not be shipped back even though they are perfectly legal to own in the US. Doesn't make sense, then again what gouvernment does.

I guess I got lucky... Loaded up on Ramshot LRT before it was on folks radar and found Fed 215M match primers for what I though was a not bad price (54.95/1000) so I grabbed 5K. Told some friends and was informed that was "Gouging!" I don't consider $0.01/primer (I think? I got into the reloading game late) gouging and now those same guys are asking if I would sell them a 1000 primers. "I told you they had 50K Fed 215Ms and 200K WLPs in stock and you pitched a fit!"

powder valley has H1000

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts