Primers

Gray R

Hey guys I just ran my loads over a chrono and I got velocities about 125 fps slower than my manual said I should. Does not using a magnum primer in a 6.5-284 make that big a difference? Thanks

A little more info on your setup would help to better answer your question... In my case yes I did see a little more velocity in my 6.5-284 with fed215Ms but pressure was higher and I had to back the load off a grain using Retumbo.

Sorry yeah I'm running 130 vld over 50 grains imr 4350. I used cci 200 primers cause it's what I had. 26 inch douglas number 4

I'm using a nosler book just because I usually load noslers. It's says with 48 grains of imr 4350 I should be getting 2897 but I ended up with 2775. Which it's plenty accurate so I'm not too worried about it I was just curious to see if the different primer was my problem

I'm using a nosler book just because I usually load noslers. It's says with 48 grains of imr 4350 I should be getting 2897 but I ended up with 2775. Which it's plenty accurate so I'm not too worried about it I was just curious to see if the different primer was my problem

Lot depends on which chamber you have 6.5x284 or the 6.5x284 Norma that Nosler has data for.

Publishers of reloading manuals use actions and barrels that may differ considerably from yours, thus there will be differences in MV. A hundred or so difference in MV is not at all unusual. Reloading manual figures should be used only as a guideline. Hopefully, your MV should stay right around 2775.

What he said.

Have you ever watch a NASCAR race? They are all running about the same engine etc. but one will always run faster than the rest.:D

Berger lists 130 gr vld imr 4350 max load 48 gr 2812 fps ( 26" barrel ), so you are close to bergers data. I personally dont think 4350 needs a mag primer but you can always try one... If you do try mag primers I would recommend backing off your charge weight 10% and work back up just to be safe...

I appreciate it all guys. Like is said it's way more accurate than I am and it'll definitely kill a small bodied southern whitetail plenty far out so I won't mess with it. Also just my luck. I practice out to 5 and 600 yards all summer and get confident then the first deer that steps out on the road is 94 yards away. Go figure

practice , practice, practice; I am usually the guy that fires 100+ rnds a year at paper from my 7mm RM alone. And this season first morning 2 does came out with 3 little ones in tow, I watched them graze and play for almost 30 minites before they went away. After lunch less than 5 min after I settled back into my blind a likely candadate came out and gave me a good profile. Bang was all it wrote 105 feet.
As you said all of that long distance practice and I could have tossed a rock at it. Either way with all that practice comes the confadance, as sighted right between the eyes, didn't know what hit her.
Yes we do herd management here and I ended up with an antlerless tag

Yeah as I said I live in southeast georgia on the coast and we get ten antler less deer a season. So we kill mostly does and thats fine with me cause I hunt for the freezer and a big fat doe makes me just as happy as a stud

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts