Primers backing out.

I learned a great trick here which has saved me $$ on brass. Just passing it along.

Put a ball peen hammer in a vice with the ball end up. Get a metal rod/flat punch/ bolt, etc that will fit inside the case neck and a little longer than the case. Situate the brass case centered upon the ball peen hammer. Strike the punch. This will bring the edges of your primer pocket in and will hold primers again like new. You will need to experiment as to how hard to hit the punch or how many times. If more than once, you will need to re-situate the brass to be dead center before hitting another time. I use this with 300 WM and have recovered a lot of brass that I would have had to throw away. It does not affect accuracy. It simply makes the brass useable again.
I find that very interesting, and will have to try that. After 8 or 10 firing on my 308 N. Mag the primes pockets are done. I got it type into my notes now and saved. The biggest things with is finding them again. HaHa.

I have 100 lapua brass once fired and 11 of them have loose pockets to the point tapping on the case will cause primer to fall out.

That's bizarre. Do you have a case gauge where you can compare the shoulder on a fired to a resized case?

I had some pistol brass with loose pockets, I put some cartridge sealer on them problem solved. It's the red stuff you see on factory ammo around the primer. I only use this on hunting ammo or self-defense rounds. Cost about 10 bucks takes maybe 1 hr to paint 1k rounds 2 if u seal the bullet as well peace of mind priceless.

I have shot primer pockets pretty loose, well past what most would toss. Never had a primer back out from that.
But I have had primers back out when the cases were sized pushing the shoulder back to far (excessive headspace). Also causes a pile of case stretch just above the case head, shortening brass life a bunch.

I would check the over all length of the shell, Shoulder to extended primer.
Was the cases FL sized when you got them?
Have you checked your sizing die?
Have you checked or had someone check your chamber with Head Space gauge?

It sounds like a head space or die adjustment problem.
Good Luck, Be Careful, Be sure to wear your safety glasses.

I learned a great trick here which has saved me $$ on brass. Just passing it along.

Put a ball peen hammer in a vice with the ball end up. Get a metal rod/flat punch/ bolt, etc that will fit inside the case neck and a little longer than the case. Situate the brass case centered upon the ball peen hammer. Strike the punch. This will bring the edges of your primer pocket in and will hold primers again like new. You will need to experiment as to how hard to hit the punch or how many times. If more than once, you will need to re-situate the brass to be dead center before hitting another time. I use this with 300 WM and have recovered a lot of brass that I would have had to throw away. It does not affect accuracy. It simply makes the brass useable again.

I bumped it back 2 thousands. Changed primers. Charge weight change primers are good and the group stayed tight.

the primer can't back out if the pressure is high enough to push the case back against the bolt face. low pressure is why 30-30 often have primers back out a good bit

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.