Primers backing out.

i pushed some lapua in an old win model 70 243 100 rds 15 firings
no cleaning no annealing no trimming just chamfer it shoots one inch groop at 200 yds no brass issues at all

I've had primers back out on otherwise good brass from loads being too light. Run a pressure ladder and see if they do it all the way up or if it stops at some point.

If the primers feel loose going in, try federal primers. I've had difficulty seating them on new brass and believe they run a tad large.

As someone who has loaded for 224 Valk, the primer pocket killer, I can assure you it doesn't take much to hold the primer in there. How light is light? the primer is held in by pressure more than friction. If we were counting on friction to hold it in there it would be laughable.

I would load one of each, Min to max load, and observe the difference in pockets. Keep in mind many precision shooters, and ammo factories, are loading effectively over book max. I'm certain Federal GMM 308 ammo would not be in the book. Its pretty hot.

Excessive headspace can cause primers to back out, if these cases were fired in a gun with minimum headspace and then fired in a gun that has maximum headspace can cause primers to back out, if this is the case try backing the sizing die off by half a turn, or take a resized case and put 2 layers of masking tape on the head of the case and trim around the rim if the bolt float easily its on the high side.

I learned a great trick here which has saved me $$ on brass. Just passing it along.

Put a ball peen hammer in a vice with the ball end up. Get a metal rod/flat punch/ bolt, etc that will fit inside the case neck and a little longer than the case. Situate the brass case centered upon the ball peen hammer. Strike the punch. This will bring the edges of your primer pocket in and will hold primers again like new. You will need to experiment as to how hard to hit the punch or how many times. If more than once, you will need to re-situate the brass to be dead center before hitting another time. I use this with 300 WM and have recovered a lot of brass that I would have had to throw away. It does not affect accuracy. It simply makes the brass useable again.

Primers backing out invariably indicate low pressures. Probably the cases have been sized slightly short, headspace-wise as well. I would work up until primers stopped backing out. Re-adjust your FL sizing die to only set the shoulder
back .0015 - .002" Your brass life will be much better if you do not size the brass too much. Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.