primer pocket reaming

skik

Hi peoples
recently bought 300 once fired 223 brass consisting of 60 Winchester 80 federal and
160 ppu. Winchester i have reloaded so no problems there but federal and ppu i haven't i ran the federal through the case tumbler sized and started cleaning the primer pocket and noticed straight away the primer pocket cleaner is a tight fit so tried seating a single primer with not good results basically crushing the primer which leads me to my question will the primer pockets need reaming i am assuming they will but thought i would ask your opinions and what brand reamer would you recommend i would call myself a novice reloaded as i don't reload huge numbers maybe a 100 at a time
any advice will be greatly appreciated
thanks skik

stupid me didn't even think of military style primer crimp read about a similar problem on another post ran the tip of a deburing tool into the primer pocket and primer seated no problem

Just be careful not to remove too much when using the deburring tool. If you do, you will not have enough metal to support the primer. Just cut enough to remove the crimp, and don't go too deep.
I use an RCBS tool (it's a die that fits in your press, and swages the crimp from the primer pocket). It's a little tricky to get adjusted, but once you do, it is quick and requires little effort to use it.

Just be careful not to remove too much when using the deburring tool. If you do, you will not have enough metal to support the primer. Just cut enough to remove the crimp, and don't go too deep.
I use an RCBS tool (it's a die that fits in your press, and swages the crimp from the primer pocket). It's a little tricky to get adjusted, but once you do, it is quick and requires little effort to use it.

i only tried the deburing tool to see if it was the crimp fouling the primer now i know for sure what it is i will source a primer pocket reamer and do it properly the advice is greatly appreciated

If you have a bunch to do, I highly recommend the dillon super swager. It costs right at $100, and is well worth it. I have done over 10,000 with mine. Its super easy and quick.

I would also second the recommendation for the Dillon swagger. I've used other tools for processing large amounts of 223 military brass, but after a friend lent me his Dillon tool, I would say it is the best I've ever used. Fast and consistent.

thanks guys will check it out i only have 80 to do so $100 is probably a bit hard to justify rite now might just hang off and see what other brass comes along and make it worth wile investing

One thing I've noticed in reusing military brass is that different headstamps will have slightly different dimensions. I can have a box of Lake City 7.62 that doesn't need anything done to the primer pockets and can have a box of WCC 7.62 that needs every primer pocket touched.

Try to seat primers in your various headstamps before automatically deburring each pocket. You may save yourself a lot of work.

out of the 300 brass there was 4 packets so 80 rounds of federal american eagle up until now i have only used Winchester and Remington brass this is the first time i have come across crimped primers and being in Australia (forgot to mention that) ex military brass isn't common i will just put aside the brass and if i come across enough crimped primers will invest in a swagging tool the wealth of knowledge here is amazing im glad i stumbled across the sight

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.