Primer pocket truing

wjm1000

I've been reloading for more than 60 years. Shot 1000 yard completion for years, won inbs/nbsra national championship for score and two state 1000 yard championships. I'm also a avid long range hunter.

While I de-burr the flash hole, I very rarely true the primer pocket for depth and being square. What I'd like is some input on how many think it is worth the time and effort to true the primer pocket.

I run a primer pocket reamer on a drill in mine and it takes a couple seconds per case. I don't do it to uniform per se but more to clean the pocket while possibly truing.

I used to deburr my flash holes but did some testing and found no difference in performance so cut that step. Also after a few firings there was no burr there anymore.

I clean the flash hole on every case when they are new and never have to do that again.
I then use a Henderson Three Way Trimmer on the mouth for length and run a K&M Primer Pocket cutter in the primer pocket to uniform for diameter and depth. When I am reloading I use a CPS to seat the primers so each primer is seated the same. I also wet tumble in SS pins, all my fired brass. Brass is like new each firing and consistent for all dimensions.
It is extra work, I like doing it that way. I know some other reloaders don't do any of this and say it doesn't effect accuracy.

I measure them first. Most of the time with good quality brass they don't really need correction.

However, if you find them wonky why wouldn't you? Or, if you are stuck trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, then better get to work.

I've been reloading for more than 60 years. Shot 1000 yard completion for years, won inbs/nbsra national championship for score and two state 1000 yard championships. I'm also a avid long range hunter.

While I de-burr the flash hole, I very rarely true the primer pocket for depth and being square. What I'd like is some input on how many think it is worth the time and effort to true the primer pocket.
I stopped doing it. Have shot my best stuff ever not doing it.

High quality brass these days is in need of very little work of any kind, in my experience. ADG is my favorite. I don't de-burr flash holes anymore. All I do to new ADG brass is run a mandrel through before loading. I don't find a need to do anymore than that. Granted I am not shooting paper at long range for groups. I am just shooting steel, but even out to a mile it's consistent enough that I don't find the need to do any extra work.

I tried it in my original batch of 30 year old Lapua brass for my 1000mtr 300WM…the untouched brass shot better each and every time.
I believe making the bottom of the pocket square, instead of concave, is a step AWAY from accuracy. That funnel shape has a job.

Cheers.

I find that I make it look worse off than it was when I started, so I stopped. Either I don't have good quality tools for that job, or that job takes more skill than I have to do a good quality job with my tools. Same thing goes for flash holes. Although if I can see a big nasty burr or a "Hanging Chad" I will go get it, otherwise a small imperfection probably doesn't have a significant enough impact for what I see down range. However, I am at the beginning stages of my reloading career compared to many here, so I am very interested to follow along this thread.

I do debur the flash hole and do a quick pocket true on all my brass new or old. More to make sure I don't miss something than to do much other than a basic cleaning. It also provides consistency with my process. In the end, I find that consistency is what allows for the best ammunition output.