Previously bedded stock.

Sleepy Time

Have a McMillan stock that has been bedded for one rifle and wanted to use it on another. How difficult is it to remove bedding or is it even possible?

The only experience I have with removing bedding compound from a stock is Ruger M77 25/06Rem that was bedded the entire length of the fore stock. The barrel had a lot of upward pressure from the bedding and to free float the barrel I used a deep-wall socket and very rough sandpaper and removed a lot of bedding compound from the barrel channel to achieve my goal. The bedding can be removed from the stock but will probably require the use of a dremel, because sanding in the recesses will be all but impossible without it. You will only want to remove just enough material so as to leave enough clearance to rebed the barreled action you want to install.

I will probably get flamed for recommending a Dremel to do this job but I don't see any other option, but if there are better ideas for this I will learn from others suggestions.

A milling machine is cool if you have access to it or know someone who does.

For us regular guys I very carefully used my Dremel tool and deep well sockets to remove and improve the bedding job of a rifle I own. I have many tips for my Dremel and a few different sets of deep well sockets, and had no problem finding what I needed. Once the barrel channel was straightened and smoothed I then re-bedded the action and it significantly improved the accuracy of the rifle.

I've also used the Dremel to remove bedding of my own job that wasn't up to my standards, and it can be done as long as you are careful and patient.

You could also use a drill press, like a mill and make a cradle or clamp to hold stock and slide stock from front to back, using a series of hole to take out majority. I use this type set up to do mortise and tenion wood work

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.