Can the Ruger American stock be bedded, pic attached?

WEATHERBY460

Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster, the barrel sits crooked in the stock. Can this stock be bedded? If so, anyone willing to do it for me at a reasonable price? Thanks

ruger stock.jpg

460, the reasonably priced Boyd's stock comes in several styles, colors and some decently useful add ons. Plastic stocks after heavy reinforcement bedding are unbalanced and still not nearly as strong as the wood laminate.

Also, B&C is making one for them. I have one, but haven't given it a good test yet. It'll be a bit lighter than the Boyd's as well, but heavier that the OEM.

With Rugers, you need to bed the recoil lug tight.
With the 60 degree angle of the screw, if you leave ANY room, the action WILL bend behind the recoil lug as the screw is tightened.

Those stocks can be bedded, but it is NOT a simple job.

Cheers.

I put my Ruger American 450 Bushmaster in the Magpul American stock and I am very happy with it. I had tried to stiffen it up, but for me that was a much better way to go. Much more comfortable stock.

I don't think the Ruger American uses the angled front screw? Never had one apart, but from the photo it looks like a conventional straight front screw.

The angled front screw Rugers are a pain to bed correctly. Took me a few attempts to develop a method that works.

I don't think the Ruger American uses the angled front screw? Never had one apart, but from the photo it looks like a conventional straight front screw.

The angled front screw Rugers are a pain to bed correctly. Took me a few attempts to develop a method that works.

No they do not use the angled screw. You are 100% on.

On the other hand, I have never thought of it as a pain or problem to bed the angled front screw on a Ruger.

No they do not use the angled screw. You are 100% on.

On the other hand, I have never thought of it as a pain or problem to bed the angled front screw on a Ruger.

My experience with the 77's, especially the newer ones, is getting a pillar in there correctly so when the screws are tightened, there is no deflection in the action/barrel.

And because the bottom of the lug area is not flat, the pillar can cock a bit if you use too much torque.

Took a few trial and errors to get the correct torque.

JMHO

With Rugers, you need to bed the recoil lug tight.
With the 60 degree angle of the screw, if you leave ANY room, the action WILL bend behind the recoil lug as the screw is tightened.

Those stocks can be bedded, but it is NOT a simple job.

Cheers.
Ruger American does not have angled screws. No need to bed, tighten front screw first while holding stock in straight position to 65" pounds. Then tighten rear screw. If not enough shave some of the barrel channel down on side that's close or touching.

It is a straight screw, 77's have angled front screw.

It's easier to shave the "too close" side than to try and bed it. If you bed it, it'll just be bedded crooked anyway.

Shaving is the way we did it a couple of years ago with one of these, and it worked great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.