Prefered method of removing primer crimp?

shorty

I was recently given a bunch of 5.56 brass with crimped primers. Whats the best practice for crimp removal?
I've got a Lyman tool, but wondering if there is a better way. I did a forum search with out luck.

What's "best" is purely a matter of opinon.

I much prefer a proper pocket reamer chucked in an electtric drill motor. (NOT with a drill bit, counter sink or chamfering tool!)
Well, that shoots to crap how I do it.
I've got a wilson chamfer/de-burr tool I chuck in my big cordless, put a decapped crimped round on it and hit the trigger for a quick burst. I've done about 1000 already with no problems. The ream is similar to the re-man ammo out there. I will transition to a swager eventually, but for now I ream.

I have tried several methods and I believe the best is the dillion super swager. I bought one a couple of years ago and have done over Well over 10,000 with it.

I have an RcBS brass prep station which has a selection of rotating spindle attachments. Just added an RCBS crimp removal spindle. I can remove the crimp and clean the primer pocket in about 10 seconds perfectly. I have done thousands of rounds perfectly.

I have the RCBS primer pocket swedger for both large and small primer pockets and it works good. Seems to be less work than the cutter being used by hand and about the same as the one used on a drill. Have used all those and went back to the RCBS swedger. The Dillion is nice although I have ruined a few cases if you don't get them exact in the swedge it can really mess up your primer pocket as it exerts a lot of force on them. :) For the money/effort the best for me was the RCBS swedger.

Thanks for your help gentleman! I'll have to check out the RCBS but I am interested in the most precision cutting tool ,within reason (budget). Because I've managed to mess up a few cases already. Thanks again guy's.
Dan

I also have the rcbs brass prep station with the reamer and although it does work, the money spent on the dillon is well worth it. In my opinion there is no contest. its not my intention to disagree with anyone that posted but I have tried almost all options (excluding the rbcs swager) and I have thought on several occasions that the dillon swager is some of the best money ive spent. I have never ruined a case with it. Just my opinion but i believe in it enough I felt obliged to reply. If you have alot of brass to do, consider it. Also do a google search on the dillon super swager and read some reviews? Have a good one

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.