Removing live primers??

Ok, now I'm curious.
Ive removed one here and one there.
Why are you guys removing so many live primers?
Dozens,and thousands, ??

Ok, now I'm curious.
Ive removed one here and one there.
Why are you guys removing so many live primers?
Dozens,and thousands, ??

Haven't removed thousands, but a progressive press and crimped primers are the main reason I have to remove them.

I got trhee thousand surplus 55 FMJ 5.56 Lake City rounds for free. And they were very inaccurate.
Seating depths varied a lot, and powder charges were all over the place, like up to 2 grains difference. That might be OK for plinking or just spitting lead, but not for me. So I pulled all the FMJs, ditched all the powder, and deprimed them. Sold the FMJs and reloaded them all with my target loads.

primers are an IMPACT EXPLOSIVE.
if you just PUSH all is well.
i have done hundreds with ZERO issues.
it is safe when done correctly
Safety first! It could produce small metal fragments. Couldn't you just pop them
in a rifle? They aren't that expensive.

do not waste your time
primers are deactivated by IGNITION.
if you get careless because they are wet, and the last one has dried out...bang
you are NOT "popping" them out, you are slowly PUSHING them out.
Good advice from comments above. If you wanted to go one step farther you might consider soaking brass with live primers in pan of water overnight before popping them out.

If you are using a hand de primer tool be careful. I had one go off while using my Frankford Arsonal de primer last year. One buzzing pair of ears and the primer catch jar was destroyed. Had my hand been on the catch container it could have been bad. I didnt knock the primer out it was a press. Only thing I can think of was that maybe the primer was cockeyed in the primer pocket. Anyways, it most likely wont happen but take precautions in case and like other mentioned press dont punch them out.

Good advice from comments above. If you wanted to go one step farther you might consider soaking brass with live primers in pan of water overnight before popping them out.

I wish people would quit recommending stuff that they haven't tried personally. The internet is great in many ways but it has also spread these kinds of Canards far and wide. If you want to know for yourself: Take some primed cases, put in some oil, water, WD40, cleaning solvent and anything else you can think of. Let them sit over night. Dump out the liquid and try firing them in the gun. I will bet you big bucks 100% of them go off.

To the Op, the advice received is sound. Push them out slowly and wear eye protection just in case. I have never heard of anyone setting one off doing this. Even if one did go off it is inside a sizing die. Best of luck.

I've removed them in the past successfully. I soaked them in water overnight just to be on the safe side.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts