Pre-J or Post-J Lock

dbhostler

Anyone have an opinion on Remmy quality today? I know that I have purchased some very poorly finished bolt guns in the past, early 90's, and the company has taken a beat'in because of it. Would you be better off looking for a older rifle in a 300WM Sendero, or a current production rifle?
confused.gif

db

Hi DB,
I have heard some horror stories about Remington quality from other forums (mostly BR types) but I haven't found this to be the case at all. I am a long time, hard-core, died in the wool Remmy fan. I have never purchased a rifle, or shotgun for that matter, from Rem. that had any flaws in it. Biased?
If I were to start shopping today for a M700 I would look for the pre-J lock. I don't have personal first-hand experience with this device but I do not see any need for it on any of my rifles. If I absolutely could not live without a rifle that had the lock I would buy it but change the bolt shroud and firing pin/spring at the first available opportunity. Johnny K.

I bought a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm STW two years ago.
With just a little load work I was able to get 1/2 MOA easy, if I do my part. Fit and finish was superb. No noticeable machine marks, stock fit was perfect.
Now just yesterday I bought a Rem 700 VS in .308 with the same type of stock as my Sendero, Bell & Carlson? I think? Fit and finish is still superb. Only difference is the J-lock. I never plan on using it, so I left the keys in the box in the basement. I do not see a reason to remove the J-lock either. Rather spend the money on bullets.

Now what led me back to Remington. I looked up and read up everything I could about the new Savages. Read lots of good reviews. Seems like they can be real tack drivers also. But when it came right down to comparing the Savage tactical with a 24" barrel with the Remington VS with a 26" barrel. The Remington won hands down. First thing you will notice on the Savage is the cheap plastic stock. Machine work could be slightly better.
So for the $139 more I went with another Remington.

My Father and I have owned over 100 Remington Rifles and have had problems with 2 of them and it was minor. The trouble we had was a little spot in the chamber that was rough and left a little mark on the case. It didnt effect the accuracy at all we just noticed a little ring on the side of the case. We sent both of them to Remington and they fixed them for nothing. So I dont think that is to bad of an average with owning that many Rifle's and the only trouble in the two was very minor. I will also say that it is the first gun I think of when it comes to out of the box accuracy.
wink.gif

[ 04-05-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

Remington is still making great guns. Most shoot fine out of the box. The Sendero stocks are made by H-S precision and are great. The J-lock is definitely a bad thing! Don't think so(?), play with one. Don't worry about loosing the keys, cuz you can lock/inlock with fingernail. Think of the endless possibilities in the field
mad.gif
Plus the firing pin was changed and now the firing pin spring is a curvy twisty mess, compared to the old ones which layed flat. The good news is that Brownells sells old style replacements. Out of the box, Remington is still your best choice. More aftermarket parts and one of the best (commercial) actions for a custom (later).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.