PRAIRIE GUN WORKS VISIT

Ian M

I had the opportunity to visit Ross Spagrud yesterday at his Prairie Gun Works in Winnipeg - really enjoyed the opportunity to see a bunch of fine rifles in many stages of completion including several which were ready for shipment.

Ross obviously knows his stuff and his rifles show a lot of precision. They are made of proven stuff - like Pac Nor barrels and McMillan stocks and of course the unique Prairie Gun Works action series. Not every day you see a large cylinder of Titanium and get to handle an action in its absolute earliest stages.

Anyone interested in extremely well built rifles, ranging from 4 plus pound titanium actioned mountain rifles to heavy duty tactical actions that will handle ANY cartridge out there (I expect Ross's big action could handle a 20mm cannon cartridge necked down to .17 cal. if you really feel the need...) - check out the Prairie Gun Works website.

Anyone traveling through Winnipeg Manitoba would enjoy meeting Ross, talking state of the art rifles and cartridges, and seeing his shop. Ross has a well equipped shop that is layed out to do one thing - build quality rifle actions (and rifles).

I look forward to shooting a PGW rifle in the future - have a hunch already how it will perform.

Ian, did you get a chance to see the T-wolf action???

Question for Ross:

What are the specs on the standard T-wolf rifle that you guys build? Barrel length & taper with and without muzzlebreak, and rifle weight without scope??

I realize the specs vary, but what are the spec's on the rifle pictured on your website?

Handled a T-wolf action and a complete little-brother, the Coyote tactical rifle and they are extremely well machined, very nice. Titanium actions are just plain amazing for light. Look somewhat like a Rem. 700 with a bunch of stuff done that Remington would never get around to doing. Absolutely true, square and straight, humunguous recoil lugs, very nice Picatinny rails integral, dual ejectors, good sized Sako style extractors, will take any trigger a 700 will I believe.

I believe that this is a sound action design and when you screw in a good barrel and put it into a good stock properly - has to shoot.

No chance to shoot one yet, that will be interesting.

I hope that Ross jumps in here, I must admit to being like a kid in a candy story and cannot remember those details. Sorry, the actions that I handled were amazing - there is a huge weight difference between steel and titanium.
I hope to shoot a Coyote .308 tactical or something similar since I use that caliber so much - if it ever stops freaking snowing.

First off let me say that it was a pleasure
hosting Ian and his son at our shop. His
profound experience as a writer, photographer
and consultant is truly amazing.

Ian caught us at a rare moment with a number
of completed rifles and actions on hand
prior to shipping and we were able to demo
virtually our entire line.

At the time of his visit we had only one
Titanium tactical action for viewing and
it was a COYOTi titanium.

Our standard Timberwolf sports a 28" barrel
(338 Lapua) that has a 1.3" shank for 5"
and tapers to .900 at 28". The weight of
this rifle w/o optics is 15 3/4lbs and
we use a 1-10 twist. We use LOTS of Pac
Nor barrels and generally reccommend this
line. We also are big fans of McMillan
Stocks and Leupold optical products.

Stephen and I work very hard in a hostile
environment to provide the best possible
products and we are proud of our entire
product line.

We will be supplying Ian with a number of
different rifles for evaluation in the very
near future and we very much look forward to
his input and advice.

ANYBODY travelling through central Canada
is welcome to visit the shop and in fact this
happens fairly regularly. Today we hosted
a fellow from Australia who was here on business and yesterday a fellow from Colorado
who was here on business stopped by for the
grand tour.

Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.