Sprinco plate + silver moly barrel treatment, IT WORKS!!!

stevet

Okay, I finally have test result data to show an impressive increase in velocity from plate + silver lubricant made by Sprinco USA. Me and a friend built two wildcat 7mm rifles that mimic the 7mm RHB who (Roland) is a regular on here. Thanks Roland. Anyway, these two guns are identical in that we used the same reamer, same barrel length and the same gunsmith. One thing I might add, I had my rifle built first and with the problems I was having using Dakota 300 brass (because the brass was inconsistantly too long for my chamber), my friend decided to have the gunsmith run the reamer in .0020" further into the barrel. From what we can tell that small difference doesn't show any difference in ballistics even though his case has a bit more capacity. OK, for the good stuff... About 80 rounds ago I treated my barrel with plate + silver and this morning we had a chance to compare velocities. Remember same chamber, 300 Dakota necked down to 7mm and improved with 40 degree shoulder. We loaded 73 grains of RL 22 (which has been very accurate in both guns) and 160 grain Accubond bullets. I shot three rounds first through his Chrony, first shot 3356, second shot 3335, and third shot 3333. He shot his three next, first shot 3172, second shot 3233, and third shot 3229. My average was 3341, his average was 3211. So, we're talking a 130 fps difference. I also fire formed one for the die maker with the same load and it was 3348 fps which would bump my average slightly. Our barrels are both 27.5" long and both bullets were seated .0025" off the lands. I have not tested the RL 25 with this new brass but he shot two rounds of 77 grains and they measured 3303 fps and 3299 fps. I know from experience the pressure in cooler weather doesn't show up until 78 grains so with this treatment my rifle should put the 160 Accubonds out over 3400 fps. Needless to say we're happy with the outcome and he will shortly be treating his rifle. One note, my clean barrel takes two shots to foul and the other day while fire forming with 72 grains of RL22 my first shot was dead in the bullseye, second shot 1 " high and 1/4 to the left, but third, fourth, and fifth shots were directly next to the second shot and were on top of each other with a three shot group of .163". Obviously it didn't negatively affect accuracy. Sorry for the long post, just thought you all would want to know. By the way, Richard from Sprinco told me that some of the benchrest guys tell him that the velocities usually stabilize at about 5%-7% higher than before. Mine so far is between 3% and 4%. Maybe they will even get faster. Good luck, Steve

Hey Roy, I found it surfing the web one day while looking for data on moly coated bullets, and looked into it. I have to say it has worked well as far as increasing velocity. Accuracy hasn't seemed to change, at least not for the worst....Steve

[ QUOTE ]
OK so......where does one find it?? I haven't been able to come up with anything either. If it works, I'd use it in all my rifles. I could go for an extra 100fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spinco

Actually Alan is the guys name that sells it and I bought and used what he reccommended, plate + silver to treat the barrel (plugged barrel soaked for 72 hours) and after cleaning I run a wet patch of plate + green. I always run dry patches through the barrel just before shooting.
Good luck, and let us hear about results, Steve

Steve

what was the velocity BEFORE using the treatment?

Not saying it does not work, but two exact guns are never two exact guns and rarely give the same MV.

Now if you were getting 120 fps less before treating then, on to something if the same load.

BH

Bounty, I cannot answer that question with accuracy yet. It was some new tests with the RL 22 and most of my data is with RL 25. I will test them and get back to you. I'd be surprised if the identical guns would be that far apart in speeds though. I'll find out in a few weeks, gotta go guide some elk hunters...Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.