Practical Hunting Accuracy

hidesert

Many years ago I saw the most magnificent bull elk I have ever seen on a ridge about 800 yards away. There was no cover to make a stalk and I couldn't get closer without spooking him. I knew my skill and my rifle and I had no confidence in my ability to make a shot at that distance.

So that brings me to the question of how to determine your own practical hunting accuracy? Given a rifle and cartridge capable of a certain MOA, the limitations of one's own skill level and field conditions, what is the maximum distance you are willing to take a shot at a fine game animal with confidence?

Example: a 1 MOA .300 Win Mag rifle and cartridge, improvised rest made up of backpack, jacket and sock on a stump or large rock, shooter with a slightly elevated heart rate after hiking, variable cross wind of 2-4 mph. What is the best that a skilled shooter could hope for?

After seeing that elk I went home and tested my skill. As I recall, I found that I could put 9 out of 10 shots into a 10 inch paper plate at 450 yards.

Do you think that a 1/2 MOA rifle and much more practice I could have taken that bull at 800 yards?

Yes, you could have taken it.

The scenario you describe is what took me down the path to trying to become a long range shooter. Practice is the key word you mention. The other is knowing your equipment. I do most of my long range practice in the field shooting in varying conditions, distances, kinda stressed from walking, etc. I shoot rocks mostly. Do it enough and you will learn you and your gears limits. Then push that some more. Just practice, practice, practice, and have fun doing it. I also find that if I don't keep in practice, I kinda lose it.

I think any one inch .300 wm would be able to make that provided you had a good range finder, a solid rest and you actually knew where rifle the rifle was hitting at 800 yards, you actually shot it on paper not just read about it...just because a rifle shoots one inch at 100 doesn't mean it's going to shoot an 8 inch group at 800...that's one of the biggest falacies in the shooting world..after all your are shooting at a beach ball...

That one inch gun at 100 is likely more than capable of grouping well within an elks vitals at 800 yards. The bigger issue is are you? I've shot many many groups under 8" at 800 yards and I'm man enough to admit I've flat out missed vital size targets at that same distance on many occasions too. Reading the wind properly and being in a comfortable position to make that shot will certainly give you more confidence but I've had rock solid positions and confident wind readings and still missed due to cross canyon winds you just can't see.

MOA is a good standard to use. As others have said, it must be verified out to the intended yardage. MOA is a combination of hunter and rifle in different shooting conditions.

The only other thing I will throw in here is min impact velocity. I set this for my self at 1800fps. I also set 1800fps as the min recommended impact velocity for our bullets. We have proven them to open reliably at lower velocity, but believe that 1800fps is the point where there is still enough velocity to cause the tearing needed for good permanent wound damage. The idea here is a good quick clean kill. If people want to shoot slower with our bullet it is up to them.

I believe this 1800fps limit applies to all bullets. It is just a physics thing and nothing to do with whether or not it can deform.

So in the end make sure you know what you and your equipment can do.

Steve

You'll only learn and improve your capability by shooting your rifle under varying conditions and keeping an accurate data book! One can only learn just so much by reading! The rest depends upon how much trigger time you expend!!

IMO, personal limits for taking game should be consistent hits scored on an 8 inch target; with nothing outside of that boundary.

You have my greatest respect and admiration for " I knew my skill and my rifle and I had no confidence in my ability to make a shot at that distance."
I remember my first confident shot at 675 yards. It took me a long time to work up to that skill level and when the Antelope collapsed where he stood it was no surprise. I want all my shots to be like that.

Your example includes all of the conditions that tempt shooters to take shoots they're not qualified to make. Tempting target, capable 1/2 MOA rifle, good support, mild variable full value cross wind (assuming little or no elevation differences to consider). The increase in heart rate might well be the thrill of finding a trophy animal - coupled with the disappointment of not taking the shot.
A "skilled" shooter who can consistently put ten rounds in an 8 inch target at 800 yards . At least that's my own standard.

Your scenario is very similar to one I was in about 5-6 years ago on the biggest bull moose I've ever seen. I came through the hogs back with my dad in the boat and when I looked to the shore on my right there was 4 moose with 1 being the bull. I quickly pulled out my range finders as my dad got a plan on how to shorten the distance. 811 yards I'll never forget it. You could see the rack from the boat! We tried closing the distance but the wind was strong and headed directly too them. We got on an island where we had a steady rest, prone position and wind directly on our back. 544 yards and I did not feel comfortable. We sat and watch and tried to figure out a better approach when another cow and calf came out. We just back in the boat and tried getting to the next island where the shot would of been 280. But the caught wind and high tailed it out of there.

Since then, I got into reloading, bought myself a nightforce and a Remington 700 xcr tac II in 300. Win mag with an hs stock and 40x trigger. Took a long range precision course and learned how to shoot out too 1100 yards. Invested in a set of gongs, a good range finder, shooting mat, and built myself a custom 260. Rem for long range practise and try and take the rifles out once every week or two. 2 weekends ago I shot a 3 shot 1.25" group at 615 yards. I know if I ever get an opportunity at a trophy moose inside my comfort zone I'll be a lot more prepared. Hopefully I can keep myself calm

As everyone said, practice practice practice

Practice. Practice. Practice. I shot a bull last year at 550 yards, and I watched him walk towards me from about 2000. I was actually waiting for him to get closer, but as I did I realized that I had taken numerous shots in practice at ranges much further, with a high success rate. He was standing completely still, broadside, and feeding. I absolutely expected to kill that elk, missing never really crossed my mind. I put a lot of rounds down range at 700-1100 yards, at rock chuck and prairie dog sized target prior to shooting that elk. 550 seemed like a chip shot.

A great way to help you figure that out is the "Weapons Employment Zone" (WEZ) analysis Bryan's graciously setup on his website for testing. That's the math side - when combined with the field work gives you a pretty good understanding of what your shooting system will hit at distance. The last piece to add to it is terminal performance at distance.

You also need to "practice ,practice, practice " the from field position in which you'll be hunting. Whether it is a shooting stick or bipod, tripod or bullbag.
Your 1/2 moa load on a benchrest and rear bag can end up 1.5 moa from a monopod shooting stick.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.