20 practical?

What are the specs on you guys grendal uppers? Barrel length, brand of upper, also what is the spec on ammo? Fps, bullet choice?

I have a 20 in Saturn barrel. I used a stripped keyhole upper and just bought all the innards and put it together myself. I am currently using the nosler 100 gr ballistic tips. They are a hunting bullet but it knocks the living crap out of coyotes. The bullet has an avg speed of 2840 fps. I will be moving up to the 120 gr nosler BT and it goes between 2600 and 2700 fps. The 100 gr has a BC of .350. At 100 yards at 2840 fps it has 1515 ft lbs of energy and at 500 yds it is traveling at 1830 fps and still has 730 ft lbs of energy.

The 120 gr BT has a BC of .458. Going 2650 fps from the muzzle, at 100 yds it has 1642 ft lbs of energy. At 500 yds it is still going 1875 fps and has 937 ft lbs of energy. I will copy the link to the thread of some coyote pics shot with my Grendel.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/6-5-grendel-ar-81801/

The only reason those super fast, low recoil, small caliber guns have been the norm for so long is because people used to keep and sell the pelts. The high speed and highly frangible varmint bullets work well together to not damage pelts. If you don't plan on keeping pelts then a larger caliber than .224 is a better option in my opinion. I have a brake on my AR and it kicks less than or the same as a 223. I have electronic ears that I wear and one should always wear ears when hunting anyway.

The 20 Prac is a great little round. I would consider getting a 1:9 and shooting the Berger 55gr's the BC is sick. I built mine for the same reason...cheap. I had the redding comp die set in .223 so it cost me $25 for a bushing so I could neck down the brass. I have a bolt gun but the round will feed perfectly in an AR also.

For a truck gun AR's are hard to beat for follow up shots. Dtech makes a very nice upper at a VERY reasonable cost. He has a 20 practical reamer and is half the price of Robert Whittley.

Jon

Dtech was one of the companies I was concidering, I went ahead and emailed them as to their thoughts on the subject. The grendal idea I think is a good one and I like the idea of being able to use for deer here (.24 min in wa state) but again with noise being a factor having a break is kinda out for me and being a truck gun I really don't want to worry about finding muffs as time is usually of the essence. My first ar was a 16 inch with the bushmaster brake and was stupid loud so is really like to not deal with that at all. My second ar was a 20 inch barrel that was super accurate but heavy a pain in the butt in the truck due to overall length and weight. Again thank you all for your responses.

What are the specs on you guys grendal uppers? Barrel length, brand of upper, also what is the spec on ammo? Fps, bullet choice?

I'm shooting a 24" Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Upper with the premium Schillen barrel upgrade with a midwest industries four rail handguard....

The only two loads I have tried shoot one ragged hole @100 yds:)

My Coyote Load is 32.0gr X-Terminator with a Federal small rifle match primer and 85gr sierra HP's at an honest 3150fps. Shoots like a champ I can hold center mass to 250 yds and just under the top of the back out to 300 and Dead Coyote! I have never lost one hit with this load, even if I'm a little off they are broken down enough where you dont loose them.

I used to have to double shoot quite a few with my 223 and in fact my partner lost one in a contest this year shot with his 223....had a double come in and he shot one in the center of the chest and it dropped, he went after the other one and the one he hit got away, lots of blood and hair but no coyote.

Last weekend I was chronographing a 120gr loaded with some Hunter powder right at 2330fps and here is the result of my 10 shot string(one inch squares)...........this is hands down the most accurate rifle I own!!

10 shot group.jpg

Very nice group! Have either of you tried the vmax? I'm using 140s in my .260 and exited to get to shoot a yote with one. I just finished building an e caller this morning so I'm going to try and get out tomorrow to make a stand.

I have had good luck with them in other rifles but have never tried them in my 6.5.........the first one I tried works so good, I cant see a reason to change.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.