POWDER FOR THE 300 RUM?

I SHOOT STUFF

Done with barrel break-in, and ready to start reloading my fired brass. I want to use 180 gr barnes tsx, or MRX, if they fit.

Power suggestions/charges?

I've been working with retumbo and H-1000, and havn't found my load yet, but getting closer.

Have heard some really good things about RL 25, and wanted to try that but then I heard it is really temp sensitive, so I don't know.

There a lot of guys on here with more experiance than me, and I'm sure they will chime in soon. Good luck with load development...

I use 99-100 gr Retumbo with 180gr Btips. My woodchuck load, but I think they'd kill anything.

200 gr Accubonds are also a very good bullet for the Rum.
91 RL25 or 94 Retumbo FedGM215 in mine and my huntin pard's rifles.

RL-25 has by far been the best performing powder for my 300 RUM both in accuracy and velocity. I run top loads with awesome accuracy.

I have noticed a bit of differance in loading from lot to lot. I just moniter my velocity and if its lower, I add, if its higher I drop it some. As soon as I make a small adjustment, presto, groups are pefect again.

I have used four lots of powder and each time I get perfect accuracy even though I have to adjust slightly. I have used other powders that no matter what I did, the new lot just would not group despite the old one being excellent.

Had real good luck with re22 shooting 178gr amax's with 95grs of powder but have switch to h1000 and 210 bergers.

It took quite a while to find my 300 RUM load. Using a Lilja 27" barrel on a REM 700 action, I found that 98.8 grains of H1000 did the trick for me. My 180 grain Barnes TSX moves out at 3450 fps and groups just under half MOA. I found RL-25 and RL-22 produced higher velocities, but the fps had a greater variance between shots.

Hey all new guy here. I have been running 180 gr Accubonds in front of a max load(102.5 gr) of Retumbo. They have been grouping @ around an inch consistantly. This load is on the warm side in my gun. Any RE 22 or 25 recipes folks want to share would be appreciated. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts