POWDER FOR THE 300 RUM?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by I SHOOT STUFF, Apr 27, 2006.

1. I SHOOT STUFF

I SHOOT STUFF Member

Done with barrel break-in, and ready to start reloading my fired brass. I want to use 180 gr barnes tsx, or MRX, if they fit.

Power suggestions/charges?

2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

I've been working with retumbo and H-1000, and havn't found my load yet, but getting closer.

Have heard some really good things about RL 25, and wanted to try that but then I heard it is really temp sensitive, so I don't know.

There a lot of guys on here with more experiance than me, and I'm sure they will chime in soon. Good luck with load development...

3. accuratebrass

accuratebrass Active Member

how close to max are your retumbo loads?

4. HoytemanPA

HoytemanPA Well-Known Member

I use 99-100 gr Retumbo with 180gr Btips. My woodchuck load, but I think they'd kill anything.

200 gr Accubonds are also a very good bullet for the Rum.
    91 RL25 or 94 Retumbo FedGM215 in mine and my huntin pard's rifles.

5. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

This is jmo but, if you want to get the most out of the RUM, skip the 180s and go w/something 200 gr or bigger.

6. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

RL-25 has by far been the best performing powder for my 300 RUM both in accuracy and velocity. I run top loads with awesome accuracy.

I have noticed a bit of differance in loading from lot to lot. I just moniter my velocity and if its lower, I add, if its higher I drop it some. As soon as I make a small adjustment, presto, groups are pefect again.

I have used four lots of powder and each time I get perfect accuracy even though I have to adjust slightly. I have used other powders that no matter what I did, the new lot just would not group despite the old one being excellent.

7. waylon

waylon Well-Known Member

Had real good luck with re22 shooting 178gr amax's with 95grs of powder but have switch to h1000 and 210 bergers.

8. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

It took quite a while to find my 300 RUM load. Using a Lilja 27" barrel on a REM 700 action, I found that 98.8 grains of H1000 did the trick for me. My 180 grain Barnes TSX moves out at 3450 fps and groups just under half MOA. I found RL-25 and RL-22 produced higher velocities, but the fps had a greater variance between shots.

9. Ace1

Ace1 New Member

Hey all new guy here. I have been running 180 gr Accubonds in front of a max load(102.5 gr) of Retumbo. They have been grouping @ around an inch consistantly. This load is on the warm side in my gun. Any RE 22 or 25 recipes folks want to share would be appreciated. Thanks