Powder for 264WM

gkempf

My new rifle will be back from the smith soon. Going to be shooting 130gr Accubonds or 127gr Barnes LRXs. What ever the rifle likes. What powder do you guys reccomend. Thanks

Last edited:
I shoot Retumbo with the 130 Accubond out of my 27 3/4" barrel and get 3350 fps and sub moa accuracy. This is a wonderful deer round. This bullet really works well from right in your lap out to a touch over 500 yards so far. I have killed a dozen of so deer with it and all have been DRT. I have only recovered one bullet all the others were pass through. The one recovered was from a buck shot at 111 yards almost facing me. Bullet entered edge of left scapula and took out the lungs and was found against the right ball joint which it smashed. Bullet weight was 87 grs and it was a text book mushroom.

g, H1000 for the 130 gr in my friend's 264 was tops. I really like that caliber, would like to try the 140 VLD Berger for one. Good luck

I have found R-33 to be a great powder for 130 gr. bullets. I also have used WC872 and WC867 as well as Retumbo, R-25, H1000, US869, mag pro and 7828. All of these work some just better than others depending on the bullet.

Never been a fan of those sloooowwww powders, just can't get them to give the best accuracy and I find them dirty... Just like everything else H-4350....the cure for all your shooting shoes !!

I have excellent luck with 7828 SSC in my 7mmRM, and it shares the same case as the .264 WM, so I would imagine it would work well for you, especially with heavy-for-caliber bullets like the Berger 140's or Matrix 160's.

Another good one to try would be the new IMR 7977. It's directly above H1000 on the burn chart.

I have a 264wm that was built on a Ruger 77. I tried h1000 and Retubmo. I finally settled on 4831SC, much better accuracy for me anyways

I have owned 3 different 264s . My current one I shoot Retumbo with 140s . With great results . That being said if you are planning on running 130 or less try a little faster powder . I have had really good results with a 120 nobler BT and IMR 4350 . I also had good results shooting 130 accubonds with IMR 4831 and RL-19 .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts