Powder Dispensing Systems????

I've had both the Lyman and RCBS and the Chargemaster is the better of the two hands down. It's faster, there's no warmup time and no zero flucuations. The Lyman was very sensitive to magnetic fields whether from a cell phone, light, ac, etc.

I have the RCBS Chargemaster, a buddy has the Lyman 1200DPS. The RCBS is better than the Lyman, but it's not a huge difference. The Lyman is more sensative to surroundings, heat, and air and it requires a 30 minute warmup period, where the RCBS warms up in about 20 seconds. The RCBS is also much easier to change powders with. They are both huge time savers when it comes to reloading though.

Thanks for the replies BB and Waffen. Now if I could just find someone that has experience with the PAST. Guess I'm getting too lazy to weigh'em out one at a time.

One of my shooting buds has the RCBS and is quite pleased with it. Before I buy I plan to try his out.

To all respondents,
After more than a year of reading this board I trust your judgment on this issue enough that I'll order the Chargemaster this Friday.

Again thanks for the equipment testing experience that you have shared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Something else I forgot to post is my first chargemaster dispencing unit was actually broken from the factory. There was a peice of plastic ratteling around inside the unit and it would not turn the trickler when the motor spun up. I emailed RCBS tech support and they never responded. I ended up driving down to Buda, Texas to exchange it in person at the Cabelas store. The new unit has worked flawlessly for over a year with heavy use. I run all my rifle loads through it and on occasion some pistol depending on the powder.

I have been considering getting one of these but I don't think that I'll need the added accuracy of the powder charge over my Harrell Premium Culver unit , its accurate to within 1/4 grain with good powder and 1/2 with the big extruded stuff.
Until I start sorting bullets by bearing surface and other ultra precise BR standards I don't see that weighing each load perfictaly has added any to my accuracy over what I can throw with the Harrel unit , and its way faster than any electric unit I've seen operate.

Just my 2 cents

JD,

Get off that money , get a Chargemaster cuz it's a cool toy . Now , I need to take my own advice and get a Harrels ( another cool toy , I have slobbered on the pix of them for some time )

When we stop trying new ideas ( read toys ) I think we have come to the end of our personal development in whatever field we have played in .

I have the chargemaster that came out next to last . That is there is an upgraded version right after mine ( always is ) yet I have no problems with mine and heartily endorse them . There is a learning curve as always , though .

Jim B.

I'm having a heavy barreled 260 being built right now I'm hoping that it'll be my next farorite long range gun. My baby right now is a built up Rem 700 in 308 but its accuracy is starting to slip (3500+rounds)

I'm hoping that this 260 will be my first step toward the ultra accurate BR style guns and that'll probably be where the ultra precise powder weighing comes in.

The Harrelll sure is sweet though

JDJones,

I don't think the chargemaster will out do the Harrels.....

There are some programing things you can do with it, if you want to risk a bit, to make it just a bit more handier.

I was dinking with mine the other evening, dropping one kernel at a time in then taking one kernel at a time out. I don't think its sensitive to much less than a tenth grain and then only if approaching the target weight from the bottom direction.

Besides all of that I don't think that variations in powder charge weight makes all that much difference as long as its real close. Unless you're goodgrouper, that is or shoot beyone looooonnnnnnggggg range.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.