Post Your Reloading Bench Pictures

Solved my picture posting problem...used the high speed at work....
go back one page for the pictures
Randy

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my reloading bench I built in my RV. I have a 41 foot Heartland Cyclone toy hauler and it has a 12X8 foot garage in the rear.

I used a 2"X6"X5' board for the bench. I made it this small so that I can park my car in the garage during travel to my destinations. The brackets are attached to the aluminum frame wall with four ¼ inch screws. It's very solid. When I'm not reloading, I remove the presses and they are stored in a protected space. I can easy attach other equipment to the bench by using C-clamps. There's plenty of room for my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 and the Sinclair Arbor Press. It's perfect for my needs. Since these pictures were taken I painted the bench gray.

Attachments

• 001 (Custom).jpg
    001 (Custom).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 002 (Custom).JPG
    002 (Custom).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 003 (Custom).JPG
    003 (Custom).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 186
  • ram3500st.jpg
    ram3500st.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 03w.jpg
    03w.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 176
OK. I've seen a bunch a pictures on this thread. But, you take 1st place IMHO.

Thank you Sir! I am pretty darn proud of it. This is in a new home I am building for us and it is what I have wanted to do for years.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats a fine bench/room Broz. All you need is a fridge.:D That dust buster is slick. If I run out of H1000 or 300 hybrids, I'll give ya a call.

Here is mine at my dad's house. As soon as I moved into my own house, he decided he wanted all my gear at his house. He pulled it all out of the garage and moved into the AC. summer load development sucks in AZ in the garage. All the powder, dies, solvents, and brass have a place in the cabinets. My old man is pretty proud of his "red phone". Sorry for the cellphone pic.

bench.jpg

Looked through this entire thread and there are benches varying from entire basements dedicated to shooting/reloading and others that seem very portable and easy to close up and put away.

Anyone using an old computer desk/workstation or are these things too fragile/flimsy? I have a desk I used to have a desktop computer on that's just sitting up there and if I can reinforce it or the main desk part to support the force of a press on it, I might use it to get started.

Something like this, but no rolling corners under the desk and I could take the wheels off the bottom. There are no dividers on the bottom shelf and I could put some extra weight down there to stabilize it a bit. Either way, it's the cheap furniture with the cam locks holding it together.
Computer-Desk-19213236818.jpg

I don't have a basement in my house and with a second child expected in July and a room that's sort of a storage/guest room, I don't have a lot of space for a sprawling bench. I have one rifle I will be reloading for, possibly a few others, but I don't don't need anything massive right now.

Is this worth a shot or should I just junk it and build/buy something else?

Looked through this entire thread and there are benches varying from entire basements dedicated to shooting/reloading and others that seem very portable and easy to close up and put away.

Anyone using an old computer desk/workstation or are these things too fragile/flimsy? I have a desk I used to have a desktop computer on that's just sitting up there and if I can reinforce it or the main desk part to support the force of a press on it, I might use it to get started.

Something like this, but no rolling corners under the desk and I could take the wheels off the bottom. There are no dividers on the bottom shelf and I could put some extra weight down there to stabilize it a bit. Either way, it's the cheap furniture with the cam locks holding it together.
Computer-Desk-19213236818.jpg

I don't have a basement in my house and with a second child expected in July and a room that's sort of a storage/guest room, I don't have a lot of space for a sprawling bench. I have one rifle I will be reloading for, possibly a few others, but I don't don't need anything massive right now.

Is this worth a shot or should I just junk it and build/buy something else?
Since you already have the desk and if you are handy and have some tools, you could do a "conversion" by beefing it up some. Adding a 2x8 the full width under the front edge where the press mounts and 2x8 supports down the sides to the floor will support the downward load created by the press action. There is also torque wanting to pull the press off the bench when you lower the handle, so I would add a piece of 3/4 plywood to the top and screw it into the 2x8 underneath the front edge. Glue and screw a piece of 1/4" plywood to the entire back of the desk and it will lock the entire structure together and make it solid. Cut at least 3 wood supports to go under the bottom shelf and down to the floor to carry the weight you will be adding to the shelf. I used a microwave cart "conversion" for a while back when space was an issue. Most home centers will cut the wood for you. Another option would be to purchase a portable stand for your press and use the desk for powder/bullet storage, scale, powder measure, manuals, etc. Don't let space hold you back! I used and still use, sometimes, a Lyman 310 or Lee hand loader that fit in a small drawer. Make it happen!

Since you already have the desk and if you are handy and have some tools, you could do a "conversion" by beefing it up some. Adding a 2x8 the full width under the front edge where the press mounts and 2x8 supports down the sides to the floor will support the downward load created by the press action. There is also torque wanting to pull the press off the bench when you lower the handle, so I would add a piece of 3/4 plywood to the top and screw it into the 2x8 underneath the front edge. Glue and screw a piece of 1/4" plywood to the entire back of the desk and it will lock the entire structure together and make it solid. Cut at least 3 wood supports to go under the bottom shelf and down to the floor to carry the weight you will be adding to the shelf. I used a microwave cart "conversion" for a while back when space was an issue. Most home centers will cut the wood for you. Another option would be to purchase a portable stand for your press and use the desk for powder/bullet storage, scale, powder measure, manuals, etc. Don't let space hold you back! I used and still use, sometimes, a Lyman 310 or Lee hand loader that fit in a small drawer. Make it happen!

I sent you a PM, I'd like to pick up the supplies today and get it done this weekend.

Got some work done today...took an old computer desk from a desktop I don't have any more and laid into it:

Before:
Deskbefore.jpg

After:
Benchafter.jpg

2 2x8s, a few screws, bolts, and a sheet of plywood. It's heavier, solid, and almost ready to go. Just need a few 4" screws to go through the outside 2x8s into the ones that reinforce the bench laying horizontally and it will be ready to go. The gap on the left and right sides won't be there when I use clamps to hold the lumber in place and then screw the rest together. Dies will be in on Wednesday. I'm thinking of adding a pair of vertical pieces between the top of the bench and the lower shelf, cannibalizing the hardware from the sliding keyboard shelf and building a small drawer to the left of the press.

Should be enough room to load a caliber or two and store my limited amount of stuff. I'm pumped to get started.

Leadlober, thanks for your help.

jtkratzer: Looks like you'll have a solid set-up. I would add supports under the bottom shelf so it doesn't sag when you store all your supplies or "ballast." Patio stone pavers, bags of sand or gravel can work in a pinch to add weight. I stored several hundred lbs. of lead for bullet casting under mine. Enjoy your new bench!Leadlober

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.