Possible changes to bear baiting in Idaho

You guys don't understand how I appreciate bear hunting. I like to see bears in their own environment just doing their thing. 2 years ago I had a WY non-res bear tag. On my 3rd trip out I was able to watch a sow & 2 cubs feed for 1.5 hours from about 400 yards. I observed 4 other bears that year but never shot a WY bear. One that I let go was a huge bear. However it was near the end of the spring hunt & I wanted a fall bear & thought I could find a bigger one. Turns out that I never seen a fall bear that year. In my eyes that WY tag was paid in full by seeing the sow & 2 cubs. That was fun. I killed my 1st bear back in the 80's with a friend with hounds. A bear in a tree starring down at hounds or a bear dragging food out of a barrel is not natural. I found very little sport in hiking to a tree & blowing a bear out of it. Would never do that again. I have killed 7 bears. One with hounds & the other 6 by spot & stalk. I also let alot of bears go. Just being able to find & watch them is my thing.
Go ahead & run me down. What about the mighty houndmen that go to the bait sites that are not theirs to run bear. I have good friends that have quit baiting & even hunting bears because of this. When I was friends with a few houndmen I would go while they trained their dogs on housecats, racoons & bears. They also ran alot of deer & elk around for a day or two. They would dump a few dogs on a bear & then we would hunt dogs for 2-3 days. I will stick with my style of hunting. Hiking around is my therapy after a hard work week.
Kirk

You guys don't understand how I appreciate bear hunting. I like to see bears in their own environment just doing their thing. 2 years ago I had a WY non-res bear tag. On my 3rd trip out I was able to watch a sow & 2 cubs feed for 1.5 hours from about 400 yards. I observed 4 other bears that year but never shot a WY bear. One that I let go was a huge bear. However it was near the end of the spring hunt & I wanted a fall bear & thought I could find a bigger one. Turns out that I never seen a fall bear that year. In my eyes that WY tag was paid in full by seeing the sow & 2 cubs. That was fun. I killed my 1st bear back in the 80's with a friend with hounds. A bear in a tree starring down at hounds or a bear dragging food out of a barrel is not natural. I found very little sport in hiking to a tree & blowing a bear out of it. Would never do that again. I have killed 7 bears. One with hounds & the other 6 by spot & stalk. I also let alot of bears go. Just being able to find & watch them is my thing.
Go ahead & run me down. What about the mighty houndmen that go to the bait sites that are not theirs to run bear. I have good friends that have quit baiting & even hunting bears because of this. When I was friends with a few houndmen I would go while they trained their dogs on housecats, racoons & bears. They also ran alot of deer & elk around for a day or two. They would dump a few dogs on a bear & then we would hunt dogs for 2-3 days. I will stick with my style of hunting. Hiking around is my therapy after a hard work week.
Kirk
I respect your opinion, and that is the exact reason I do not hunt cats with dogs. It is just not my deal. But..... when I have dead sheep 50 feet from my front door during hunting season, I really do wish I had other options, without calling the fish cops or breaking the law!
If you truely like looking at bears and are in this area in the fall, no b.s. I can tell you where to go see the silver bear on any day.

Kirk
So admittedly, you have never baited bears before. Maybe you don't appreciate it because you've never had to outsmart the old boar that only rears his head after dark. If you like observing bears, a bait site would further that interest.

@Catahoula

I don't think anybody is going to argue with you about how you enjoy hunting bears. Arguments happen when you start saying that all other forms of hunting bears besides how you enjoy doing it should be banned, (your first post on this thread).

Last edited:
What's the difference between hunting bear or bait or hunting deer from a stand overlooking a corn field?

Well back to the topic of this thread... The proposed changes are a slippery slope that will lead to effectively ending baiting in Idaho by legislating it out of practicality. You already cannot use any meat from game animals. So what are you going to do, pick a shitload of berries and roots?
Many units in Idaho are listed for "possible grizzly encounters." All it will take is a couple grizzly "sightings" and that unit could be added to the list. I left a comment a while back with F&G. I hope when my son gets his hunting license we still are able to bait bears in Idaho.

Hey HuntnID,
How do you even speak of "outsmarting" the wise old bear who only shows his head after dark? Sitting on a bait is NOT hunting or outwitting a critter. If you do have a big bear hitting your bait then he can't be too far away. Pull your britches up & go after him.
I have better luck when I actually go hunting. Sit on your bait & have fun waiting. I will continue to creep around in the thick stuff they like. I see tons of other critters by doing that. My average hike is around 7 miles. You can see alot of bear sign & activity, then figure out why they are in the area. While doing this I have found so many elk. Don't enjoy hunting elk so I just watch them. Have a bunch of pics on my trail cam showing elk on waterholes.
Just my opinion,
Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.