Packing in bear bait

Tikkamike

Just curious what some of you use for getting your bait in. Horses, ATV pickup...legs etc.. I would like to see some pics of your setups and also your bait sites.. not looking for your secrets, just curious what others are doing. I have posted pics of my bait set up before but this year ill take some pics of start to finish.

Pardon my ignorance, couldn't you just catch some fish? I know as much about bear hunting as I know about quantum mechanics which isn't much. When I went camping in Northern Arizona as a kid if you didn't keep you camp site well police you would have bears. seems some fish gut hung from a tree about six feet up would bring the bears in.

Joe, the fish odor will attract them, but in my experience it takes a little more food to keep them coming back. I use a 2-wheel game cart or carry it in on my back, depending on the terrain and location of the bait site. The cart can carry a large bucket or 2, plus 3 feed sacks of goodies, and I can pull it alone most of the time. Once the site gets going, I normally backpack in a couple sacks of bait at a time to keep them fed.

In Ak we didnt have to go far off road.We used baked goods,or surplus treats out dated from like eddies bread.They love the sweets.This was unwrapped and trash compacted.This makes a nice compact load and in heavy back strapped to pack frame.We would bring a whole enclosed trailer up full.Would last 3wks for 3 guys w/2 baits each.

use....

truck, then ATV, then my legs.

I use a 55 gal. drum with a six in hole cut in the lid. I took 5/16 rod and bent it around a pipe and welded it on top of the lid the same diameter as the hole. that way, the bear doesn't rub hair off from repeated feedings. I chain barrel to tree and allow it to pivot side to side and not tip all the way over. I place the barrel so I get a good broadside shot.

Will find more pics and take better ones this year too.

PICT0026.JPG

PICT02301.JPG

8-12-11_Bear.jpg

8-22_2011_bear.jpg

8-23_2011_bear.jpg

We use a 55gal barrel like previous poster. I've also decided popcorn is great. Its light you can carry a lot at a time its cheap and covered in say honey or something sweet bears seem to love it. We also use sweets, meat scraps and dog food.

My favorite black bear outfitter uses a 1/2 barrel with no top or bottom. It's basically a steel ring. He places a steel grate (similar to the material used on a food store cart) with a wood stick through it for support. An ordinary heavy rock is placed on the grate to prevent coyote, coons, etc from getting to the bait.

Fresh meat scraps are used for bait exclusively. Only a few pieces of bait are put in the can when baiting so the bears must continue to return if they want more fresh meat. Rain can just run out the bottom so water is never collected in the bait.

Bait cans can be checked from a distance because if the can isn't overturned then there is no reason to approach the can. An overturned can is always encouraging to the incoming hunter.

something else I do when I fill it is take a couple logs, beat on the sides and top and then stuff the top hole full of logs.

next time I approach, I can tell if it has been hit or not from a distance.

Another thing you can do is take used grease, get it from restaurants and poor it on trees so the wind can blow Tue scent around also take a coffe can and cut it in half and nail it along with a notted up sock hanging below it soaked in anise oil up. Kinda smells like black licorice. The can us used for a cover so the rain don't wash it away. Also put grease in front of hole of barrel so when bear steps in it he tracks it back of bait

I do the same thing with Hardee's and McD's grease. I place all the bait in barrel and then pour 3 to 5 gallons of grease on top of it. I have a series of small holes in bottom of barrel that let it seep out. When the bears come in, they step in the grease. When they leave, they make a scent trail for all other bears in the area to follow back to the bait.

it gets a lot of the bears in the area to your bait.

Packing bait in
IMGP1118.jpg

Checking it for the first time of the season (always an exciting time)
MDGC0333.jpg

Checking it again...
MDGC0080-1.jpg

And again...
MDGC0025.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts