Plse Help a MT. Wolf hunter out

BnG, it was not that way where I hunted last weekend and headed tomorrow. And the ranchers I talked to were glad I stopped and gave me the go ahead to shoot. Dont give up, just go get em.

Jeff

The ranchers have been GTG but there are guys who get out during the week and have sleds to get back in an locate them, then they come in and whine about them staying out of range, I have the exact opposite problem. Working all week really screws with my hunting :D

Some times those people may not be seeing anything. Over here we have wolves and a closed season, this makes me made as hell! During a particular late hunt over here in 2006 a guy had a four day bull tag and was seeing 400 bulls all over, but would not say where. He killed a 310ish bull. I had a 1 out of 14 reject screw job on the regs. by the MFWP Gardiner late bull tag and my late bull tag was for the whole late hunt Every stinking day! That guy made me two breaths short of a looney bin resident!

I always say to myself to give it your best effort, and when it is all said and done that is all you can do.

I am still headed to Ennis by myself with my dog, and no tag, so all I am is your guy's or Gal's eyes. If anyone needs help or a set of eyes somewhere let me know tonite
Good Luck fellas!

Rooster740, I sent you a PM earlier. I hadn't read your post here. I am heading to Ennis alone too. We need to hook up. Give me a call either tonight or early morning , I am leaving at 5:00 am.

Jeff

Thanks Jmden.

Well I was close. I spotted two, a black and a gray and watched them for a long time trying to figure out a sneak. They were in the flats near a large herd of elk. They ranged 1931 yards from the road. I wanted the best possible odds so I satrted in with not much for cover, hoping to close the gap a bit. They were moving away and I didn't catch up for a shot. Hind sight I wish I would have sent one from 1931 yards.

I plan to go one more time before the 15th.

Jeff

Thinkin' ahead. . .

What's an outta stater need in MT shoot a coyote? License etc?

Otta keep at least part of it legal...:rolleyes:
For these yotes, I think all ya just need a gun:D. Maybe a conservation license. The MT fish a game site has a list of what you'll need for each type of game. I'd post a link for ya, but you could drive here and ask before i could figure out how. Try calling 406-752-5501, it's the Flathead Valley FWP office.
Cody

Thanks Jmden.

Well I was close. I spotted two, a black and a gray and watched them for a long time trying to figure out a sneak. They were in the flats near a large herd of elk. They ranged 1931 yards from the road. I wanted the best possible odds so I satrted in with not much for cover, hoping to close the gap a bit. They were moving away and I didn't catch up for a shot. Hind sight I wish I would have sent one from 1931 yards.

I plan to go one more time before the 15th.

Jeff

Broz, pretty sure I talked to you after your stalk. Was it you that ranged the bald spot on the hog's back for us while we were there talking? We're headed back tomorrow for the last day, was up scouting tonight but didn't see squat for dogs. Ton of elk though so they gotta be there somewhere. I might walk up the hill this time instead of trying those flats stalks, that's near impossible unless you're lucky enough to ambush them in the creek. gun)

Broz, pretty sure I talked to you after your stalk. Was it you that ranged the bald spot on the hog's back for us while we were there talking? We're headed back tomorrow for the last day, was up scouting tonight but didn't see squat for dogs. Ton of elk though so they gotta be there somewhere. I might walk up the hill this time instead of trying those flats stalks, that's near impossible unless you're lucky enough to ambush them in the creek. gun)

Yep. That was me. I am headed back this morning too. I will be there glassing at first light. I hope I can we can find em again.

Jeff

you're right, I misread the first part of the statute: It is as follows:

Montana statute classifies predators as coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk). Predator shooting is not regulated by federal or state law or regulation. Predators can be shot in Montana year-round without a license by both resident and nonresident hunters. A Conservation License, or a state school trust lands recreational use license, is required to shoot predators on state school trust lands. Permission must be obtained to shoot predators on private land.
Nonresidents are required to purchase a Nonresident Trapping License to take nongame or predatory species using traps and/or snares. See the Furbearer Trapping and Hunting regulations below for more information about take of furbearers and predatory species.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.